Thread: [SOLVED] problems with zmmailbox command

Default [SOLVED] problems with zmmailbox command

I am having problems exporting a mailbox.

opt/zimbra/bin/zmmailbox -z -m randalls@somedomain.com getRestURL "//?fmt=tgz" > /opt/backup/accounts/randalls.tgz

ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: GET failed, status=404 Not Found)

Details about my installation:

1. I am using split DNS setup.
    2. I am behind a NAT firewall
    3. /etc/hosts and hostname are the same.
    4. Using the Open Source Edition.
    5. Ubuntu 8.04
    6. I am using the version zcs-5.0.16_GA_2921.UBUNTU8_64.20090429120003

Any ideas would be appreciated
    Last edited by randalls; 05-20-2009 at 09:10 AM.

Default Either this problem is so rediculously simple to solve, or it is totally unique to my

Either this problem is so rediculously simple to solve, or it is totally unique to my environment.

Any ideas where to start looking. I really want to be able to export these accounts using zmmailbox

I have been looking into this more and I suspect that the zmmailbox client is trying to make a connection to http://mail.somedomain.com/home/randalls@somedomain.com which is not accessible behind the nat firewall. What I am going to attempt to do is forward all requests to mail.somedomain.com to the internal ip address of the mail server. I am guessing this will work.

Ok, to solve this, what i did was update my /etc/hosts file to tell my mail server which is located behind a NAT firewall to resolve the external mail servers hostname to an internal IP Address.

So here is an example. My hosts file has an entry for mail.local which resolves to an ip address 192.168.0.23.

192.168.0.23 mail.local mail

My external ip address for my mail server is 1.2.3.4. all mail traffic detined for my mail server located at 1.2.3.4 which resolves to mail.somedomain.com is forwarded to the internal, no routeable ip of 192.168.0.23.

When my internal mail server attempts to access the soap/web services host at mail.somedomain.com, it cant because the firewall prevents it. To bypass this limitation, I update the /etc/hosts file to look like this

192.168.0.23 mail.local mail.somedomain.com mail

Ok, everything works now. Kind of strange how this tool attempts to resolve the location where it needs to look for services. I do see there is a -u option for URL. Could this also been used?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

As you're behind a NAT firewall/router you need a Split DNS set-up and a correct /etc/host file as described in the Quick Start Installation Guide and both subjects have been covered in the forums many times.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Thanks

Bill,

"As you're behind a NAT firewall/router you need a Split DNS set-up and a correct /etc/host file as described in the Quick Start Installation Guide and both subjects have been covered in the forums many times.".....yes, but the error I was receiving using the zmmailbox command failed to reveal that this was truly the case. As a result, I looked into the source code to find my answer. Maybe instead of saying 404 error, you could say something like failed to contact service at the following url [the url you are accessing]. Then it would have been more readily apparent that there was a problem. Perhaps I should hack up some quick fixes and submit some patches for better error output.

Another thing I could have tried was use IP Tables and route all public external mail traffic back to mail.local, but I did not see anywhere in the documentation where this was an acceptable solution.

Also, could I have specified the -u option and forced this command to look at a specific URL.

Wow, I solve my problem and you STILL have the odasity to direct me to the documentation like I am some kind of newb!!!

Do you get some kind of $$ bonus for posting garbage like this? Thanks a lot Bill