Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installed with difficulty, now cant access it

Default Installed with difficulty, now cant access it

Hi all.

I've been looking for a product like Zimbra for some time, and have tried various solutions, I think this will be just what we need but I'm having a hard time getting it to work.

I'll briefly explain what I've done so far, and then ask a couple of (simple) questions and that should be enough to get me going.

Ok, I've installed Suse 10 and Zimbra 3.1.1. I've followed the guide and checked on the web and eventually managed to get rid of the postfix that suse installes and managed to make Zimbra install it's own - so far, so good.

The problem is that I cannot access either the admin pages, nor the user login pages. Tomcat is serving the page, but I cannot login. I've tried to reset the admin password using ZMPROV but I get an error saying 'no such account', so I created a new admin user with: ZMPROV ca USER@DOMAIN.CO.UK PASSWORD zimbraIsAdminAccount TRUE, this gives the error No Such Domain.

Ok, so onto the questions:

1) I've not configured the MX host yet, as our email is currently held at our ISP and we download it via POP3. Once everything is ready, I'll redirect that MX record. I assume this is ok.

2) I have told zimbra that it's domain is blahblah.co.uk which is our internat domain, email is sent to us at user@blahblah.co.uk and our webpage is there too. Is this correct?

3) How can I get into a configuration screen to fix the 'no such domain' problem?

That's about it, I should be able to free roll with just a little help, I'm no unix expert but I've installed a few variants in the past and I know by way around the basics of the os. I hope someone can point me in the right direction now so I can continue to learn.

Thanks.

Update, some of this will be me being thick. I've managed to log in to the admin console. I was using the account: admin@domain.co.uk and this was not working (authentication failed)

The Zimbra machine is called mail.domain.co.uk, so when I tried, on a whim, to log in with admin@mail.domain.co.uk it worked fine.

This is a little confusing though, as we will be giving users an email address of person.name@domain.co.uk yet they log into their mail as person.name@mail.domain.co.uk ?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Hi

Welcome to the forums.

What you've done is allowed the Zimbra install to have a domain name of 'mail'domain.co.uk'. Do you have a correct entry in your /etc/hosts file for the zimbra server? Do you also have a local DNS server with correct records pointing to the zimbra server?

If this is a new install then my advice would be to uninstall zimbra with the ./install.sh -u' command (that will remove everything) then check your set-up and reinstall again. Before you commit the installation make sure that you go through the install options and see if they are correct, including the domain name.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Here's some more facts on the install

hostname:
    mail

host -t mx mail.domain.co.uk
    domain.co.uk mail is handled by 10 mail.oaktyres.co.uk

host -t a mail.domain.co.uk
    mail.domain.co.uk has address 192.169.0.2

/etc/hosts contains
    192.169.0.2 mail.domain.co.uk mail

The domain name domain.co.uk is the Active Directory domain from our windows 2003 servers. It is also the registered domain on the internet, so email is sent to us at user@domain,co.uk (domain being replaced with our real domain name of course). There is a smoothwall firewall between us and the net and yes, I know the IP address of 192.169 is a little odd, dont blame me, it was like this when I got the job

I have added an MX record for the zimbra box in the MS Active Directory DNS server but not done it on the net yet (as I have to get it working right before sending staff email into it)

In the admin console, the domain is listed at mail.domain.co.uk which I assume is wrong, but when I set everything up, I told the domain to be only domain.co.uk, the install seemed to add the hostname prefix itself.

It is indeed a new install and I'm happy to nuke it and start again if I can understand where I went wrong.

Also, I just restarted the server and the services did not start automatically, I had to start them myself with zmcontrol start, and now the web admin states that the MTA is not started so a reinstall could be a good move anyway.

In addition to this, even before the restart and MTA fail, I could not send mail to an external address. I'm thinking this is going to take a while to sort out.

I am trying to do this all by myself, I have paperwork and google windows open all over the place here! but it's a bit tricky as some of the terminology is unfamiliar and there seems to be no flatout idiot guide anywhere.

I'll remove zimbra and start again now, but help is still appreciated if anyone has comments to make,
    thanks.
    Last edited by Dirk; 05-17-2006 at 05:13 AM.

Ah, OK that's a bit clearer. You have a problem because your MX record is hosted outside the LAN, what you'll need to do is set-up a split-DNS setup - it's described in the wiki. Have a look at that and search the forums for some info and if you have any questions then post back.
    Regards

Bill

Just an additional question, do you have any otehr mailservers set-up on your domain?
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    Just an additional question, do you have any otehr mailservers set-up on your domain?
    Yes, there is a mailserver of sorts, "vPop3" is the current email solution, it will be taken out of the loop if/when Zimbra passes all it's tests.

I've reinstalled now and fixed the domain problem, looks like it was me being thick, so I've just sent a test message to my home email address and theres no delivery failiure message yet, so that's promising.

This split DNS thing can be addressed further down the testing path cant it? I mean, if I ignore the fact that external mail cannot get to the zimbra server, I can test the accounts and sending mail and scheduling and all that stuff with no problem? I would then sort out incomming mails as the final step, if possible.

Yes, you can ignore the split-dns for now or another alternative would be split domain set-up if you wanted to test inbound mail with your current set-up intact, that would require a different domain name for your zimbra server. If you want to remain a simple test then the methods you're using now should be fine.
    Regards

Bill

Ok, so things are looking up, I currently have the outlook import wizard running, copying my email into zimbra, it's slow but I'm impressed that it even offers this function!

So far, I've very happy it looks like a great product and I'll continue reading the guides etc to learn as much as possible, I do have one final question though, before I end up uttely off topic in this thread...

Once I'm ready to make Zimbra our primary email server, I think I have two options, I can inform our ISP to point the MX record to out own server rather than theirs and so have email delivered directly to zimbra, OR I can leave that as it is, and use a popper like fetchmail to collect the email from the current pop3 account and pull it into zimbra and distribute the mail according to addressee. Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk
    Once I'm ready to make Zimbra our primary email server, I think I have two options, I can inform our ISP to point the MX record to out own server rather than theirs and so have email delivered directly to zimbra, OR I can leave that as it is, and use a popper like fetchmail to collect the email from the current pop3 account and pull it into zimbra and distribute the mail according to addressee. Is this correct?
    Yes, spot on. From your description I'm assuming that you're currently doing that with vPop3?
    Regards

Bill