Thread: GAL - Canonical addresses instead of uids ?

Default GAL - Canonical addresses instead of uids ?

Hi, we're currently evaluating ZCS Network edition (zcs-NETWORK-5.0.16_GA_2921.RHEL5_64), and so far it's going pretty well.

I was wondering if it's possible to have the Global Address List searches (and auto-completion) return everyone's zimbraMailCanonicalAddress instead of the address corresponding to their Zimbra uid?

Basically we have all the Zimbra accounts defined as the user's "short" userid, which is what historically has always been their login/email/Samba/Kerberos/Unix userid in our existing systems. But also, we have longer full-name email aliases defined in sendmail due to user vanity requests. In Zimbra, I've configured these longer aliases as the users' zimbraMailCanonicalAddress so that it appears as their return address when sending mail, and so they can receive mail to those long addresses. But it would be nice if those canonical addresses would also appear in all GAL searches. I've tried using zmprov to modify the users' "mail" attribute in LDAP, but it says "(invalid request: mail is immutable)".

Is this possible? Thanks in advance,

-Matt

Hi

Did you find a solution? We also want this (because if you CC, the recipient sees our UIDs instead of the canonical address)

Quote Originally Posted by borki View Post
    Did you find a solution? We also want this (because if you CC, the recipient sees our UIDs instead of the canonical address)
    I think so. What I did (based on findings from forum posts and the wiki) was modify one of the default values of zimbraGalLdapAttrMap in the config. Initially, there was:

Code:
    zimbraMailDeliveryAddress,zimbraMailAlias,mail=email,email2,email3,email4,email5,email6,email7,email8,email9,email10,email11,email12,email13,email14,email15,email16
    I replaced this with:

Code:
    zimbraMailCanonicalAddress,zimbraMailDeliveryAddress,zimbraMailAlias,mail=email,email2,email3,email4,email5,email6,email7,email8,email9,email10,email11,email12,email13,email14,email15,email16
    (The difference is simply adding "zimbraMailCanonicalAddress" to the beginning of the string.)

Now, GAL lookups and auto-completes return the canonical addresses for people, rather than their user ids.

Making this change takes two zmprov commands:

Code:
    zmprov mcf -zimbraGalLdapAttrMap zimbraMailDeliveryAddress,zimbraMailAlias,mail=email,email2,email3,email4,email5,email6,email7,email8,email9,email10,email11,email12,email13,email14,email15,email16
    zmprov mcf +zimbraGalLdapAttrMap zimbraMailCanonicalAddress,zimbraMailDeliveryAddress,zimbraMailAlias,mail=email,email2,email3,email4,email5,email6,email7,email8,email9,email10,email11,email12,email13,email14,email15,email16
    You'll have to restart Zimbra for this change to take effect. Before doing the above commands, you might first want to verify what you currently have at your site with:

Code:
    zmprov gacf | grep zimbraGalLdapAttrMap
    ... and modify the mcf commands above if needed.

Anyway this seems to be working here for ZCS 5.0.19 Network Edition. I'm not sure if it will cause problems in the long run. Note that some postings here seem to indicate that this approach will not work for ZCS 6.x . Anyone else have input on this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by mattg1; 12-01-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: added stuff