Thread: Zimbra as a backup mail server

Default Zimbra as a backup mail server

Hi, i'm new about Zimbra and i'm going to consider the possibility to inastall it for my comapany.
    We have about 30 mail account managed by our external provider and we don't want to replace the mail server of the provider with Zimbra.
    And so, we would like to have our internal mail server (zimbra) and access it by IMAP, so we can easily make a backup af all the mail.
    And so the Zimbra server need to comunicate only with the mail server of the provider and download the mail in order to make it available for the internal clients.
    This is not a standard configuration, Is it possible?
    How the zimbra server can communicate with the official mail server of the provider? via POP? or SMTP?

Thanks

Hi, if you're just wanting to retrieve mail from your outside provider and have it appear on the Zimbra server, that's very easy. You have two choices: You can either set up an external account within each Zimbra account, which retrieves mail from that external account, or you can set up Fetchmail to do it all on the server side.

Sending mail is a different issue. Zimbra has its own SMTP server, and getting it to send using an external server is tricky, not primarily because of Zimbra itself, but because of the steps the external host has in place to prevent an open relay situation. Many POP hosting companies require POP-before-SMTP for mail relay. Zimbra is not set up to do a quickie POP check before sending mail, so this can result in rejected emails. Now it occurs to me that if your fetchmail is cron'ed to do a POP check every few minutes, that problem may be solved. . .

And if you don't mind sent mail coming directly from your Zimbra domain, it doesn't matter at all.
    Cheers,

Dan

Thanks for the sugestion
    I have no problem about sending mail, il works correctly using the external provider mail server as extern MRA.
    I'm not able to retrieve mail, When you say "set up an external account within each Zimbra account, which retrieves mail from that external account" Iwhat do you intend?
    I'm searching for the possibility to set up an external account in ZimbraWebAdmin in every account option tab, but i don't find anything...
    I prefer to set up this methon insthead of using fetchmail.

Quote Originally Posted by lucaanselmi View Post
    I prefer to set up this methon insthead of using fetchmail.
    Here's how I did it:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...html#post63048
    Cheers,

Dan