Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Need Zimbra expert in Broward County FL, to help repair ZCS 4.1 single serve

Default [SOLVED] Need Zimbra expert in Broward County FL, to help repair ZCS 4.1 single serve

We need a suitably qualified person to help repair a Zimbra Collaberation Suite version 4.1 which was installed 2 years ago by someone who is no longer available to us.
    I've tried to figure it out but I'm not familiar with Zimbra and seem to be just making it worse.
    Essentially the mailbox is not running, and Tomcat has stopped. Tried a few things I found on the forums, and it did run for a while but now Tomcat stops every time I restart (zmcontrol start).

Willing to pay someone a fair rate to come assist at our office in West Broward area, Florida.
    Please PM me if interested.

Welcome to the forums Baz

If you can post some extracts from /var/log/mailbox.log we can take a look for you. Also check for any errors in logfiles under /opt/zimbra/log.

Hi Uxbod

Thanks for responding.

Got to admit I'm a Windows guy really (..ducks to avoid flying beer bottles..) and a complete newbie at Linux, so pls have patience with my ignorance.

Well there was no 'mailbox.log' under /var/log/ directory and when I tried to access the /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log I got Permission Denied. I was logged in as root then changed user to zimbra. In fact I get Permission Denied when I try to look at any logs it seems.

Actually to save time, the main thing I need to be able to do is extract all existing mail, copy it to disc and then probably have someone come in and install a shiny new version of ZCS ( we have 4.0 or 4.1 now I think). Because 'zmcontrol start' fails now - SLDAP fails to start. I think the whole thing is falling apart.

It appears that mail is currently stored in /opt/zimbra/store/0/ within a bunch of other numbered directories. Also, seems there is nothing in the backup directory... /opt/zimbra/backup and nowhere can I find zmbackup or zmrestore commands, so the daily backups we were promised are happening, well, probably aren't. I have to try to rescue and preserve the two years worth of email from 20 employees is what it boils down to. (We have temporarily switched to a hosted mail service to keep things going in the meantime.)

So here's a question - can I simply copy the entire contents of the message store directories to another folder, burn it to CD or USB drive, then bring them into another program? Or is it not that straight forward?

cheers
    b-t-b
    Last edited by baz-the-brit; 06-27-2009 at 09:35 PM.

Baz, are you able to setup a new server at all ? That would be the easiest option and once that is done the emails could be injected into the new ZCS installation. Just to check your current version please post the following output
    Code:
    su - zimbra
    zmcontrol -v
    For a list of the logfiles take a look at Log Files - Zimbra :: Wiki, and in fact for V4 the file was /opt/zimbra/log/zimbra.log so check that for any error messages.

Hi Uxbod, thanks again.

Guess I was wrong about the version:

Release 4.5.11_GA_1751.FC5_20080128130403 FC5 FOSS edition

I'm not knowledgeable enough to install a new Zimbra server myself, so if I can't find a reliable local person to do it, maybe we should consider using one of the hosted Zimbra services recommended on the main page? I'm sure they would be able to help migrate the old emails. But I will try to extract the logs; I'm irritated that I'm not able to figure out what went wrong so I'd like to pursue it as long as you guys have the patience to point me in the right direction.

I changed permissions for the mailbox.log but it seems there is nothing in it:

bash: /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log: Permission denied
    [zimbra@mail2 root]$ chmod ug+rwx /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log
    [zimbra@mail2 root]$ /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log -p
    [zimbra@mail2 root]$ /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log
    [zimbra@mail2 root]$ ls -l /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log
    -rwxrwx--- 1 zimbra zimbra 0 Jun 26 02:08 /opt/zimbra/log/mailbox.log

This is the output of the tomcat/catalina.out file:

[zimbra@mail2 root]$ chmod ug+x /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out
    [zimbra@mail2 root]$ /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 1: Jun: command not found
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 2: INFO:: command not found
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 3: Jun: command not found
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 4: INFO:: command not found
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 5: Jun: command not found
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 6: INFO:: command not found
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 7: Jun: command not found
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 8: INFO:: command not found
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 9: Jun: command not found
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 10: INFO:: command not found
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 11: Jun: command not found
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 12: INFO:: command not found
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 13: Jun: command not found
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 14: INFO:: command not found
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 15: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out: line 15: `log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.catalina.startup.TldConfig).'

Also go this snippet from on eo f the logs:

Jun 28 10:28:08 mail2 zmtomcatmgr[15003]: status requested
    Jun 28 10:28:08 mail2 zmtomcatmgr[15003]: stale pid 26803 found in /opt/zimbra/log/zmtomcatmgr.pid: No such pro
    cess
    Jun 28 10:28:08 mail2 zmtomcatmgr[15003]: assuming no other instance is running
    Jun 28 10:28:08 mail2 zmtomcatmgr[15003]: no manager process is running

Baz
    Last edited by baz-the-brit; 06-28-2009 at 12:27 PM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You should be able to view the logfiles as root or the zimbra user.What are the permissions on the Zimbra log files? Run an 'ls -l filename' for the logfile that trying to view.

Have you had any system problems such as the root partition becoming full?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You should be able to view the logfiles as root or the zimbra user.What are the permissions on the Zimbra log files? Run an 'ls -l filename' for the logfile that trying to view.

Have you had any system problems such as the root partition becoming full?
    Hi phoenix, thanks for joining in.

I did my homework and figured out how to change the permissions, so I believe I can access the logs now.

Might help if I describe the events that led to the problem. I wanted to be able to access our mail through Outlook, using IMAP. In Admin console I saw that IMAP service was disabled - at the time I didn't realize that this was intentional - so I enabled it in server and in global settings. That's when things went wrong. After a reboot, none of us could get access through the browser interface and I could no longer log in the Admin console.

After some digging through the forum search pages, I found out that Tomcat can stop if there is a service running on port 143/IMAP. Initially I was able to get it restarted with zmcontrol, logged back into Admin console and stop the IMAP service. Things went OK for a while, then I got creative (duh) and thought I could still use IMAP if I changed the ports to something other than 143, so I used 5143 and restarted the IMAP services.

After another server restart, mailbox & tomcat both failed to start again, and this time 'zmcontrol start' would not get things going again.

I tried 'zmperditionctl stop' (after reading a forum thread), which appeared to stop the IMAP/POP services, but then zmcontrol still failed to start the mailbox due to tomcat not running.

So that's basically where I'm at now, except that zmcontrol start does get any further than ldap running, as sldap fails now (see previous post)

I guess the good thing is I'm learning a lot more about Linux & Zimbra as I go through this!

OK, what you've actually done is enabled the IMAP proxy service, access to IMAP on your Zimbra server should have been enabled by default unless someone changed it. Follow the stops in this wiki article: Configuring Perdition - Zimbra :: Wiki - make sure you do each step including the initial one to stop perdition, when you've done that your server should be OK.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    OK, what you've actually done is enabled the IMAP proxy service, access to IMAP on your Zimbra server should have been enabled by default unless someone changed it. Follow the stops in this wiki article: Configuring Perdition - Zimbra :: Wiki - make sure you do each step including the initial one to stop perdition, when you've done that your server should be OK.
    Hi Phoenix
    Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I got tripped at the first hurdle with 'connection refused' errors. Below is what happened - I had to edit our server name for privacy reasons, no offense intended.

[zimbra@mail2 root]$ /opt/zimbra/bin/zmcontrol status
    Host mail2.server_name.com
    antispam Running
    antivirus Running
    imapproxy Running
    ldap Running
    logger Running
    mailbox Stopped
    tomcat is not running
    mta Running
    snmp Running
    spell Running
    stats Running
    [zimbra@mail2 root]$ zmperditionctl stop
    Stopping imap4
    Stopping imap4s
    Stopping pop3
    Stopping pop3s
    [zimbra@mail2 root]$ zmprov ms mail2.server_name.com zimbraPop3ProxyBindPort 110 zimbraImapProxyBindPort 143 zimbraPop3SSLProxyBindPort 995 zimbraImapSSLProxyBindPort 993
    [] INFO: I/O exception (java.net.ConnectException) caught when processing request: Connection refused
    [] INFO: Retrying request
    [] INFO: I/O exception (java.net.ConnectException) caught when processing request: Connection refused
    ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke Connection refused, server: localhost) (cause: java.net.ConnectException Connection refused)

Any ideas? Should I be doing it as root instead of zimbra user?

thanks
    Baz

What happened to step 2 that disables the proxy service, did you run that?

Could you also run this command as the Zimbra user:

Code:
    ls -l /opt/zimbra/redolog
    Please post the output.
    Regards

Bill