Thread: 6.0b2 & Fedora 10

Default 6.0b2 & Fedora 10

Since I had a Fedora 10 server available, I decide to test drive the new v6.0 OSS beta. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a package for F10, only F7. I checked the Product Portal page and it lists F10 as a newly supported version. Is this an oversight or is there something blocking the release of an F10 version?

F10 support didn't make the beta. We will ship a version for F11 with either the RC or GA version of 6.0
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Ahh, ok - just making sure I hadn't missed something obvious I'll re-install the server using F11 then so can start testing when its released.

I am running Fedora 11 but I encountered a problem trying to install the RHEL 5 x86_64 version of the software. I got a symbol lookup error in one of the native parts of the perl modules shipped with zimbramon:

/usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error: /opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/IO/IO.so: undefined symbol: Perl_Tstack_sp_ptr

The problem is, the x86 version of the Fedora 7 package won't let me install it because I am using an x86_64 system. Even if I had an x86 system, I'm not sure the Fedora 7 package would work because so much has changed since then.

I know Fedora 11 support is planned, but I'd just like to remind the developers that 64-bit servers are very common these days. Mine has 12GB of RAM, and running with PAE mode would really slow down memory accesses compared to native 64-bit addressing. Please consider releasing a 64-bit build for all distributions you support for Zimbra 6.0.

For now, I guess I have to just wait, or try to build the sources myself. I've no idea how complex the compilation process is for Zimbra. Unfortunately, my virtualization solution of choice (linux-vserver) doesn't permit me to install old distros such as RHEL 5 in a guest on my F11 host. There's some conflict in the version of the rpm database.

Any help in getting any version of ZCS to run on Fedora 11 x86_64 would be greatly appreciated.

Why not use CentOS should be binary compatible with Red Hat EL? Fedora is the bleeding edge test bed for Red Hat with a 6 month release cycle. Do you really want to upgrade your mail server every year? Sure this is a Zimbra 6 testing install, but with a bleeding edge OS it is hard to tell where the issue lies. Go with stable CentOS 5 and you have stable platform to test Zimbra on.