Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zimbra+Centos 5.3 x86 + xen = 4gb seg fixup errorerrors?

Default Zimbra+Centos 5.3 x86 + xen = 4gb seg fixup errorerrors?

I'm currently setting up a test zimbra system using zimbra OSE and I'm running into a very strange issue.

Host: Poweredge 1750 /w 3.5gb memory, Centos 5.3 x86 xen dom0
    Guest Centos 5.3 x86 paravirtualized, 1cpu and 1gb memory.

When I install zimbra, the installation goes just fine up until it starts up the various server processes. Then my console gets flooded with thousands of errors:

4gb seg fixup process slapd......

I've found solutions on the web involving setting nosegneg parameters and disabling TLS, but this hasn't solved the problem. Also, many people have reported that a wide variety of processes are mentioned with those errors but in my cases it is always only slapd.

I've tried both 5.0.18 and 6.0B2, with the same result.

Has anyone else run into this?

Xen not yet supported platform for LDAP. refer Bug 23683 – Use posix mutexes on Linux builds to avoid Xen issues

Look at using ESXi which I'm almost positive is supported on that hardware. I've been running my Zimbra install for almost a year on VMware Server 2.0 and recently ESXi 4. No issues at all. With ESXi 4 you can install the Dell ESXi OpenManage VIB and use a remote computer with the OpenManage Server 6.1.0 software to administer the machine. Just as good as the ESX service console or Xen with OpenManage in the dom0.

Default Using ESXi

That's an interesting idea. I had completely forgotten about ESXi. The only issue is that the machine is only a 32-bit machine, and therefore I will need to use ESXi 3.5.

They even have specific distributions of ESXi 3.5 for HP, IBM and Dell. I've downloaded the dell one and will give it a try tonight. I hope your experience with ESXi 4 will carry back to 3.5.

I have to say that I'm somewhat incredulous that this openldap problem still exists. The bugs that veronica referenced date back to *2006*. How can the openldap/xen developers leave such a crucial bug unfixed and with no workaround for so long?

That being said, the bug veronica posted has a status of fixed, so I'm confused. Is it fixed or isn't it?

I forgot about ESXi 4 being 64bit. Yeah ESXi 3.5 will work. I have Zimbra running on ESX 3.5 at the office for a few users. The ESXi 3.5 specific to Dell should have the OEM CIM providers to talk with the OpenManage software. Not sure if it is a deal breaker or not for you. I like having the software to manage the RAID array, etc.

If you try out the OpenManage software make sure the CIM providers are enabled. Open the VMware Client under the host configuration tab. Click advanced settings on the bottom left. Under the Misc section you want to make sure 1 is set for Misc.CimOemProvidersEnabled

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ilsa View Post
    That's an interesting idea. I had completely forgotten about ESXi. The only issue is that the machine is only a 32-bit machine, and therefore I will need to use ESXi 3.5.

They even have specific distributions of ESXi 3.5 for HP, IBM and Dell. I've downloaded the dell one and will give it a try tonight. I hope your experience with ESXi 4 will carry back to 3.5.
    I run my own server on ESXi 3.5 without problems.

I have to say that I'm somewhat incredulous that this openldap problem still exists. The bugs that veronica referenced date back to *2006*. How can the openldap/xen developers leave such a crucial bug unfixed and with no workaround for so long?
    That is a problem with XEN not openLDAP.

That being said, the bug veronica posted has a status of fixed, so I'm confused. Is it fixed or isn't it?
    It should be in Zimbra 6, you can always check where a bug is targetted on the Product Portal.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default some zimbra binaries are compiled with a libc not prepared for xen

It seems that the problem is due to zimbra's mysql and zimbra's sladp are compiled to use a copy of libc that isn't prepared for xen hypervisor
    maybe a solution is to compile again the binaries of mysql and slapd and replace all for new ones

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post

It should be in Zimbra 6, you can always check where a bug is targetted on the Product Portal.

ilsa, what version is your kernel?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post

I'm currently using Zimbra OS 6.0B2 and it definitely isn't fixed yet. Another important factor I realized is that Centos 5.3 is still using Xen 3.03 for no reason I can understand. Apparently the current version of Oracle OS is using 3.1 and their next version will start using 3.4, so that may be a better alternative.

I've now got everything working, but working with ESXi is a serious pain to deal with. I don't understand why they don't have a linux or web based management client, like they do with VMWare Server. It would simplify things emmensely.

Default Zimbra+Centos 5.3 x86 + xen = 4gb seg fixup errorerrors?

I have the same problem on a CentOS 5.3 32-bit Xen VM. Strange thing is that the 64-bit Xen VM on another CentOS 5.3 server doesn't have the problem

This works
    Linux 2.6.18-128.1.6.el5xen #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 09:53:14 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Release 5.0.18_GA_3011.RHEL5_64_20090707171702 CentOS5_64 FOSS edition

This doesn't work
    Linux 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5xen #1 SMP Tue Dec 16 13:08:49 EST 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    Release 5.0.18_GA_3011.RHEL5_20090707151729 CentOS5 NETWORK edition