Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra installation on public ip

Default [SOLVED] Zimbra installation on public ip

How different is it to configure zimbra on a public ip than the one on a private ip behind a firewall? Does it require split DNS setup as the LAN ip?

i would think it's easier to install on a public ip than a private ip behind a firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintball View Post
    i would think it's easier to install on a public ip than a private ip behind a firewall.
    That is what I thought, but I was trying to make it more secure by having it behind a firewall. I did everything a man could do, but I just can't receive emails from the outside world. I can send within and receive in the inside. I can also send to the world. I don't know if it is the firewall or something, but I have forwarded all the necessary port needed to receive emails and even went as far as opening all traffic to the machine, but still can't receive email.

This is driving me nuts. Any ideas? Please help

did you try disabling the firewall for testing purposes really quickly? if it works without the firewall up then you just need to figure out the ways around the firewall and maybe someone in here can help you with that.

Paintball.
    Thanks for your input. If you are talking about the zimbra server firewall, then it is completely disabled even before installing zimbra. Secondly, I have tried opening all the ports to the ip of my zimbra boz, but it is still the same. I am lost at this moment.
    I saw someone mentioned something about setting up a DMZ or something, but I am still not sure how that will be different from what I currently have in place.

I am surely configuring on zimbra, but I just can't receive the emails from outside. I can send emails to outside and send and receive emails inside.

Can you connect to port 25 on the zimbra server from the outside world? Either by connecting directly to the server IP if it's a public IP or by connecting to port 25 on the firewall it's behind and having the firewall forward port 25 traffic to the internal address of the zimbra server ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Can you connect to port 25 on the zimbra server from the outside world? Either by connecting directly to the server IP if it's a public IP or by connecting to port 25 on the firewall it's behind and having the firewall forward port 25 traffic to the internal address of the zimbra server ?
    No. I am not able to telnet port 25 from the outside using both fqdn and public ip, but I am able to access webmail. I hope I can resolve this problem before Tuesday, so i will demonstarte to my boss and they can buy into Zimbra as oppose to Exchange.

Thanks,
    Dirk

Default Have you verified...

that your ISP isn't blocking port 25?

Also, both of my Zimbra servers set directly on the Internet with public IP's. Each has two NIC's. One LAN and one WAN. Zimbra is accessible through either. I am not one to buy into the argument that a firewall appliance is more secure than my Linux OS with IPTables. In fact, with the number of security patches that major Firewall vendors such as cisco have year after year, I believe my Linux boxes are more secure.