Thread: [SOLVED] about clamscan

Default [SOLVED] about clamscan

Clamscan seems to be kicking up every so often and burning cpu, even when there are no new messages. Is there a document on how clamscan is being used, exactly?

Bump? It's still doing exactly this.. pointless cpu expenditure every 85 seconds. I have outsourced antivirus/antispam.. I'd want to turn this off completely. How?

zcs doesn't use clamscan, messages are fed to clamd. If you want to disable antivirus/antispam just turn the services off.

if clamscan is running i'd check for other services installed other then zimbra that are starting it. perhaps you have a crontab entry that is scanning the local filesystem every 85 seconds.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Default no, it's zimbra

Thanks for your response.

Here's one of the processes.. about every 85 seconds it spawns 3 or 4 processes, some of which seem to be fairly compute-intensive.

Code:
    zimbra    4783 64.6  1.4 498164 30552 ?        Rl   15:52   0:01 /opt/zimbra/jav
    a/bin/java -client -Xmx256m -Dzimbra.home=/opt/zimbra -Djava.library.path=/opt/z
    imbra/lib -Djava.ext.dirs=/opt/zimbra/java/jre/lib/ext:/opt/zimbra/lib/jars:/opt
    /zimbra/lib/ext-common:/opt/zimbra/lib/ext/clamscanner com.zimbra.cs.account.Pro
    vUtil -l gs goose.intranet.seamanpaper.com
    I might also note that this system is ripping through process ids at an insane rate. There is nothing other than zimbra running on it.

How/where would one specify that clamd be disabled? And is there any document on this?
    Last edited by dreamgear; 08-19-2009 at 01:08 PM.

None of these have anything to do with virus scanning (ie clamd). They are part of the zmmtaconfig daemon that checks for config changes and rewrites configuration files. You can change the interval from 60 seconds to 5 minutes which will reduce the load on your box.

Code:
    zmlocalconfig -e zmmtaconfig_interval=300
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

These? There was only one process listed. I may have edited it after you looked at it if you're getting them by email.

It adds /opt/zimbra/lib/ext/clamscanner to ext.dirs so I figured it was safe to say it had something to do with the scanner.

What you say makes sense but how is it that computationally expensive to re-write config files? This is pretty scary.

Changing the zmmtaconfig_interval did "solve" the problem. But I am not at all happy that it burns 60% of a 3.2Ghz Xeon for several seconds every time it has to rewrite its config files. That's pretty horrible.

BTW, running process accounting for a few days was instructive. Zimbra runs "grep" almost two thousand times an hour, and this is with the zmmtaconfig_interval set to 10 minutes.

I generally like unix-ish implementations but something tells me you could optimize the hell out of this thing.