Thread: Upgrading from open source?

Default Upgrading from open source?

We have installed Zimbra open source (Release 5.0.14_GA_2850.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 FOSS edition) but the customer just hates the web interface and wants to go back to Outlook. So we want to upgrade them to the Prof. version.
    I see in the wiki it says:
    On recent versions it may be possible to take a backup, then just run the NE .install.sh over your FOSS instance, with a purchased license handy. You should choose the same version of NE as you are currently running on FOSS for this transition to minimize other variables."
    From the way I read that I should be able to just upgrade the installed and running server. Someone how ever told me this can not be done and I would need to install on a different server.
    Can someone tell me can I just .install.sh over the running server to do this upgrade on the same hardware and not loose anything?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You should shutdown your current Zimbra and take a backup of the /opt/zimbra directory structure then run the './install.sh' to upgrade your OSS version to NE. When you've done the upgrade take a full backup of Zimbra with the NE backup tool.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

This is great. My thought was to first install the 5.0.14 version as that is what they are running.. test and make sure everything is running fine then upgrade to the 5.0.18 version. Or is it safe to go right to 5.0.18?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by penbrock View Post
    This is great. My thought was to first install the 5.0.14 version as that is what they are running.. test and make sure everything is running fine then upgrade to the 5.0.18 version. Or is it safe to go right to 5.0.18?
    Yes, you must install the same version of NE over the OSS version. You can either get the NE 5.0.14 installed then upgrade (that would be my recommendation) or upgrade OSS to 5.0.18 the install NE. If you go for my suggestion then make sure you take a backup before doing the upgrade (you should, obviously, do that as good practice).
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.