Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Multi-domain setup

Default [SOLVED] Multi-domain setup

I have successfully installed zimbra (open) on my server. I am using a dedicated dns server running bind9. My question is now i want to migrate an existing domain to my new server.

Do i need to add a dns record for the new domain in my internal dns server?
    Right now my primary domain is hansenx6.com. I have an A and MX record setup pointing to my internal mail.hansenx6.com server's ip.

Do i need an A & MX record on my internal dns server also pointing to the same IP called mail.hansenaccounting.com?

Thanks,

Mike

I believe the internal dns server should point the MX to the internal name of the zimbra server, and A record to the internal ip of the zimbra server.

Default Multiple Domians Single Account

I am new to Zimbra, and have just managed to get my first server up and running, so I appologize in advance if this obvious or stated else where.

What I am looking to do is add three addtional domains to my server.
    The primary domian being user@zimbra.company.com and then I would like to have the existing user accounts user@company1.com and user@company2.com and user@company3.com, mail be accessed from the primary zimbra account.

Can this be done with Spilt-Domain and Alais?
    Can this be done at all?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Mark

Well, just my 2 cents. I think this multi-domain feature is built-in for Zimbra. However, I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence: "mail be accessed from the primary zimbra account". Do you mean one user like John has 4 emails: john@zimbra.company.com, john@company1.com, john@company2.com and john@company3.com. And he just need to log in to the main zimbra account and see all emails? That's a little difficult. But I think you can use Zimbra Desktop to collect all those emails into one.

If John only has one email like john@company1.com. Of course you can create a domain inside admin console, modify the dns settings, and he can log in from the mail server and check his own email, just use the full email name john@company1.com as the user name to log in.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by philpw99 View Post
    Do you mean one user like John has 4 emails: john@zimbra.company.com, john@company1.com, john@company2.com and john@company3.com. And he just need to log in to the main zimbra account and see all emails? That's a little difficult.
    That's perfectly possible (and easy) with ZCS, you just create domain1.com, domain2.com etc. and give the primary account the alias for domain1.com, domain2.com etc. - the user will then see all the email for those accounts in his Inbox.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Bill,

Thanks that is what I was hoping would happen. In addition, we are also hosting our own BES Server for Exchange, and using Zimbra Mobile with our BlackBerries. My second question is if I respond from my BB to an e-mail addressed to my address at domain2.com, will I be able to choose which account the reply goes out on. IE I would not want the sent from field to show it came from domain1.com.

Thanks very much for your time assistance,

Mark

You need to look in the user Preferences/Accounts tab for the feature 'Person', you can set-up rules on how to answer a particular message.
    Regards

Bill

thanx phoenix! learn sth new today! they r very nice tips!

Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for.

Mark

If that does what you want then you could mark the thread as Solved for future users searching the forums.
    Regards

Bill