Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing MySQL logger root password

Default Missing MySQL logger root password

Hi All

May be a problem with my setup but after upgrading to the recent 3.1.2 GA I had an odd error during upgrade from 3.1.1. Seems that the Mysql password was lost/mis-set and the mysql_logger_root_password entry was lost from the config.save file. Reported as a null valued key. I added it from a backup and after resetting the MySQL passwords the upgrade completed without error.

Still not getting logger to work, I think the passwords are different as I hadnt any idea what it was set to and it seems encrypted in the config.save.

Reckon I can work through the resetting of the logger in the configs using a search or two in the forums but I was surprised the config.save file could have lost an entry! Possibly down to the backup restore that was done a while back but thought Id mention it just in case it wasnt my fault for once ;-)

Kevin

When you first installed was logger installed at the same time and working? I've seen this logger password missing on upgrades a couple times but not sure we have a reproducible use case yet.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Default Was playing nicely...!

Yes logger was working fine at 3.1.1 prior to upgrade.

Still not resolved that part yet but at least all the rest of the services are working fine.

It does subjectively feel like a possible problem with the upgrade. Most have gone smoothly for me even when others have reported problems! BTW this is on an FC4 server. Looks like a few people have had 'sort' of similar issues whether going to the 3.1.2.

From my side it seems it is to do with mysql logons being reset or lost but to be honest I was more keen to fix the 'not working at all problem' quickly than play further to find any cause by careful analysis. Is there anything else I can find out/send you?

Thanks

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    When you first installed was logger installed at the same time and working? I've seen this logger password missing on upgrades a couple times but not sure we have a reproducible use case yet.
    I acutally did have this occur to me. I did have a older version of the logger installed. For some reason I got permissions problems. I fixed it by kicking SQL up in --skip-grant-tables and resetting the password there to match.

I am getting the same exact behavior when upgrading from 3.1.1 -> 3.1.2 on FC4

I have added the documentation regarding changing the logger or regular mysql database passwords:

http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...ySQL_Passwords

I think the cause of the passwd sync issues in upgrade might be related to using zmmypasswd post-install.

Wink Thanks dual_prophet & lostnight

I'll have a go at following that info next maintenance, and let you know any problems or thoughts on it. Its good to have these things condensed and put in the Wiki for future use.

Somehow reassuring to know I'm not the only one to whom these little problems happen ;-)

Cheers!

Default Not quite....

Hi dual_prophet

I followed the reset for the logger password and found it easy to follow and logical although it hasnt quite worked.

I think after removing the --skip setting in the logmysql.server at the end of the sequence, the user should switch back to zimbra user from editing in root?

Anyhow all that section worked as expected, however the final

zmmylogpasswd NEWPASSWD

entry returns a access denied error, (whether run as zimbra or root!)
    Any more thoughts on this?

Thanks

Kevin

Does the information in /opt/zimbra/conf/localconfig.xml match up with what you set the root and zimbra passwords to while running -skip-grant-tables ??

Kevin,

We are experiencing the same issue on a recent upgrade to 3.1.2 on one of our servers.

I think you will also find if you run zmlogprocess whilst logged in as zimbra user you will get a database access denied error as well for the zimbra user.

We have been working through this problem for the last 24-48 hrs with no avail. We have modified the zmlogprocess script to use the root user/pass, to use zimbra/pass, to use a different user/pass we added to the logger mysql instance .

We are still receiving the same access denied issues from the system.

We have observed that we can access mysql with the correct user/pass and that localconfig.xml is providing the correct information.

mysql mysql -u root -p -P 7307 when run and provided with the root password allows you access to the mysql utility as well as running it with the user zimbra and appropriate password.

Perhaps there is an error in the perl DBI module? What version of DBI is zimbra being developed against?

Regards,

Andrew.