Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: [SOLVED] Zimbra install on Ubuntu - split DNS - 2 short Questions?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Denver Colorado
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    6

    Smile [SOLVED] Zimbra install on Ubuntu - split DNS - 2 short Questions?

    I know you guys have been pounded to death here from looking through things on Split DNS.
    ( I have been doing this for years with windows mail servers exchange, groupwise, lotus notes, maildaemon, smartermail, mailenable)

    I have a 15 year background in IT Novel, Windows.. a little Linux... I have been running untangle for a few years..

    Anyway.. this is my first Linux Mail Server Attempt.. I have Ubuntu 804lts
    32 bit and Zimbra v6 Rc1

    I have been at if for 2 days.. re-installed.. started over added packages tested make sure dns is working etc... until everything was ok.. started Zimbra install..

    I used info from Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server (Hardy Heron) Install Guide - Zimbra :: Wiki

    I am new to bind.. but not with dns.. so i must have missed something..

    1) After Zimbra install is almost complete it made a complaint about mx record. The bottom of the guide above mentions something about renaming host but does not explain.

    DNS -I verified i could ping external domains and also that i could resolve my domain - nslookup coloradoonly.com which returned internal ip 192.168.1.6

    This is my problem - When Zimbra came all the way up, the host and the domain are both saying the FQDN.
    host = mail.coloradoonly.com
    domain= mail.coloradoonly.com
    and ofcourse the users are user@mail.coloradoonly.com - which is wrong..
    should be
    host=mail
    domain=coloradoonly.com
    user@coloradoonly.com

    I don't want it to be this way and i don't want to go through the trouble of re-naming things.. i want it to be correct during install.
    So I will install again.. but i want to make sure i change whatever is causing this.

    The domain should be coloradoonly.com and user@coloradoonly.com
    host should be mail. Correct?

    I have externally hosted dns records for A, www, mx records etc (working fine with windows mail servers)

    My server is inside firewall using nat fwd (public ip -> private IP)

    This is my config... During Ubuntu install
    host=mail
    domain=coloradoonly.com

    DNS Setup

    /etc/bind/named.conf.options
    options {
    directory "/var/cache/bind";

    query-source address * port 53;

    forwarders {
    208.67.222.222; 4.2.2.2;
    };

    auth-nxdomain no; # conform to RFC1035

    };

    /etc/resolv.conf
    namserver 192.168.1.6

    /etc/bind/named.conf.local
    zone "coloradoonly.com" {
    type master;
    file "/etc/bind/db.coloradoonly.com";
    };


    /etc/bind/db.coloradoonly.com
    ;
    ; BIND data file for mydomain.com
    ;
    $TTL 604800
    @ IN SOA mail.coloradoonly.com. coladmin.coloradoonly.com. (
    070725 ; Serial
    604800 ; Refresh
    86400 ; Retry
    2419200 ; Expire
    604800 ) ; Negative Cache TTL
    ;
    @ IN NS mail
    IN MX 10 mail
    IN A 192.168.1.6
    mail IN A 192.168.1.6

    /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.1.6 mail.coloradoonly.com mail

    The current windows mail server does not use internal dns.. and uses my windows server (another box) for dns queries for outside..

    Does Zimbra require bind and internal dns to be setup? Just curious, as we could just fwd dns queries to the other dns server for external queries.

    Anyway.. I would appreciate it greatly if someone can help me fix the config so that zimbra comes up with the correct domain and host name instead of the FQDN for both.

    Thanks Guys!

  2. #2
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    You would have been asked during the install if you wanted to change the domain name, it would have showed you the FQDN that would be use if you didn't answer 'yes'. The easiest thing to do is uninstall with './install.sh -u' that will remove everything including the /opt doirectory structure - so I hope you don't have anything you want in there. Reinstall and set the domain when you're asked in the install and it will come up with the correct domain name.

    As far as DNS goes, you can use any DNS server on your LAN as long as you can resolve the LAN IP of your Zimbra server. The following will tell you if everything is correct (run these on the Zimbra server):

    Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    dig yourdomain.com mx
    dig yourdomain.com any
    host `hostname`  <-- use that exact command with backticks not single quotes
    They should all point to the LAN IP of your zimbra server except for your resolv.conf which should have the IP of your DNS server.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Denver Colorado
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    6

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You would have been asked during the install if you wanted to change the domain name, it would have showed you the FQDN that would be use if you didn't answer 'yes'. The easiest thing to do is uninstall with './install.sh -u' that will remove everything including the /opt doirectory structure - so I hope you don't have anything you want in there. Reinstall and set the domain when you're asked in the install and it will come up with the correct domain name.

    As far as DNS goes, you can use any DNS server on your LAN as long as you can resolve the LAN IP of your Zimbra server. The following will tell you if everything is correct (run these on the Zimbra server):

    Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    dig yourdomain.com mx
    dig yourdomain.com any
    host `hostname`  <-- use that exact command with backticks not single quotes
    They should all point to the LAN IP of your zimbra server except for your resolv.conf which should have the IP of your DNS server.
    ok.. I think i remember a question at the end.. but nothing i read said anything about it so i must have ignored it. Thanks for the tip..
    I will uninstall and re-install and see what happens there..
    the question will probably show FQDN and i should change to just the domain -
    coloradoonly.com?

  4. #4
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mshanley View Post
    the question will probably show FQDN and i should change to just the domain -
    coloradoonly.com?
    That's correct - assuming that your DNS returns the correct results.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Denver Colorado
    Posts
    82
    Rep Power
    6

    Smile hosts file

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    That's correct - assuming that your DNS returns the correct results.
    what should this have not real clear in guides?

    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.1.6 mail.coloradoonly.com mail

    Is this correct as well?

    i think mine has
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.1.6 mail.coloradoonly.com mail


    should 127.0.0.1 be something else and not say localhost?

  6. #6
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mshanley View Post
    what should this have not real clear in guides?

    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.1.6 mail.coloradoonly.com mail
    It should only contain those lines. It's mentioned in the Quick Start Installation Guide, all over the forums and (I think) in the wiki articles.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-20-2009, 01:06 PM
  2. Upgrade to ZCS 5.10
    By blozancic in forum Installation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 09:03 AM
  3. Cleanup after many upgrades
    By tobru in forum Installation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2007, 09:21 AM
  4. Can't start Zimbra!
    By zibra in forum Administrators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 12:34 PM
  5. 3.1 on FC4 problems
    By cohnhead in forum Installation
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-26-2006, 12:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •