Thread: Non-destructive installation - any problems?

Default Non-destructive installation - any problems?

Say, I have a mail server that runs:
    • Dovecot (IMAP) + Postfix (SMTP) with users stored in LDAP
    • ClamAV + Spamassassin + Amavisd
    • Apache
    • MySQL
    • Caucho Resin
    • SquirrelMail

The question is: how can one add Zimbra Suite to an existing infrastructure like this without destroying it?

Thank you.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Welcome to the forums.

The quick answer is, you can't. Zimbra is meant to replace those products as it's a complete solution in one package. You could install zimbra on another server and migrate the users to it fairly easilly.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

But why is this software lock-in needed?
    It sounds odd to me as if you provided a one and only Linux distribution with Zimbra built-in...
    Are any changes in this field planned or is it solely ideological?

Well, that's the way the product is designed. There are many reasons why it was designed this way but I guess you'll have to wait for one of the Zimbra guys to help with 'why'. I guess it really depends what you want to do with Zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

What part of the suite would you like to replace with another component?

I'd prefer to continue using Dovecot + Resin.
    Anyways, I see no sense in braking an existing system to build a clone of it. It looks like you make buy a new car instead of replacing tires on an old one.

BTW, if I want to upgrade spamassassin or OpenLDAP, this would break zimbra, right?

Quote Originally Posted by GSMD
    I'd prefer to continue using Dovecot.
    Anyways, I see no sense in braking an existing system to build a clone of it.
    Well, that is your choice.

It looks like you make buy a new car instead of replacing tires on an old one.
    Not really. It's not aimed at that sort of installation, you have to look at the whole picture of what Zimbra is and why it was created.

BTW, if I want to upgrade spamassassin or OpenLDAP, this would break zimbra, right?
    Not necessarily. There will likely be changes down the development path that will allow product upgrades to made easily.
    Last edited by phoenix; 06-07-2006 at 04:30 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Default exim4

I'd like to voice my emphatic endorsement of interoperation with dovecot and exim4. I'm content with a Tomcat container myself, but there's no way on earth I can consider moving my small enterprise from exim4,dovecot,debian, which does so much for us already. It's a great disappointment, since Zimbra offered the hope of supporting Outlook users more effectively, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by aminorex
    I'd like to voice my emphatic endorsement of interoperation with dovecot and exim4. I'm content with a Tomcat container myself, but there's no way on earth I can consider moving my small enterprise from exim4,dovecot,debian, which does so much for us already. It's a great disappointment, since Zimbra offered the hope of supporting Outlook users more effectively, but there you go.
    I don't really understand why you'd want the 'interoperation' with your current software other than to save you the trouble of moving. Zimbra wasn't designed to address that requirement. Iif you feel really strongly about it do it yourself, it is Open Source after all. An alternative is to register on bugzilla and post a request there and vote for it, I think I can guess what type of response there'll be.
    Regards

Bill

I'd prefer to continue using Dovecot + Resin.
    Anyways, I see no sense in braking an existing system to build a clone of it. It looks like you make buy a new car instead of replacing tires on an old one.

I don't understand, you have a pre-existing solution that zimbra is a 'clone' of and you want to know how to make zimbra work with it? Zimlets or some sort of web-widget may help you integrate.

There are many ways you can migrate your messages from one imap/pop3 server to another, check the forum.
    Zimbra can work with your existing LDAP & MySQL (through some modification) servers, or use it's own. Upgrading spamassassin or openldap would not effect the zimbra installed versions in /opt/zimbra, although running both -at the same time- is not recommended. Also, depending on your understanding of SA, you can transfer your spam/ham training information to the zimbra install.