Thread: Fresh Install - Cant Send Mail?

Hybrid View

Default Fresh Install - Cant Send Mail?

Did a fresh install of ZMC on a CentOS 5.x x64 machine. The FQDM is (fake) server.domain.com but I get mail to users@domain.com so on the install I set the domain name to domain.com. I left all other settings primarily at default to ensure everything worked before dealing with my gateway. However, I cant seem to send email from the web interface logged in as the admin user? But if I go to a shell, tail /var/log/maillog and run "mail -s 'test' admin@domain.com", or even "mail -s 'test' user@anotherdomain.com" it works fine? Just not from the web interface. It just times out, gives an error, nothing in /var/log/zimbra.log etc? Now I also have a gateway server and another internal SMTP server which does not require authentication but even if I put in any of these into the "Relay MTA for external delivery" field with a port, or leave it empty, or even use localhost and port, sending mail times out with no message other than "The server is slow to respond....". Any suggestions?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I remember having mentioned to you in an earlier thread about setting up a Split DNS if you're behind a NAT router, are you and did you? If you did then search the forums for details of what's needed to check the DNS (plus hosts & rsolv.conf files) are correct, post the results in this thread.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks kindly (again) and yes I did then go ahead and create a new Bind zone for the server with MX records that point back to it and this solved the mail problem (sending from the admin account) but now I have a new one! I just posted it as a new issue but I cant login to any of the new accounts I create? This never happened on any of the previous installs and so its strange that it is happening now. No matter what I use as a password when creating the account, or going back in and changing the password, I cant login to the user gui? No errors or anything in /var/log/zimbra.log either. I can login to the user gui with the admin account just fine.

I did just notice these errors in zimbra.log though?

Sep 17 13:41:17 vmserver postfix/postfix-script[12587]: warning: not owned by root: /opt/zimbra/data/postfix/spool
    Sep 17 13:41:17 vmserver postfix/postfix-script[12596]: warning: not owned by root: /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.6.2.2z/conf/main.cf
    Sep 17 13:41:17 vmserver postfix/postfix-script[12597]: warning: not owned by root: /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.6.2.2z/conf/master.cf
    Sep 17 13:41:17 vmserver postfix/postfix-script[12598]: warning: not owned by root: /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.6.2.2z/conf/master.cf.in
    Sep 17 13:41:17 vmserver postfix/postfix-script[12601]: warning: not owned by postfix: /opt/zimbra/data/postfix/./spool/pid/unix.smtp-amavis
    Sep 17 13:41:17 vmserver postfix/postfix-script[12602]: warning: not owned by postfix: /opt/zimbra/data/postfix/./spool/pid/unix.lmtp
    Sep 17 13:41:17 vmserver postfix/postfix-script[12603]: warning: not owned by postfix: /opt/zimbra/data/postfix/./spool/pid/inet.127.0.0.1:10025
    Sep 17 13:41:17 vmserver postfix/postfix-script[12604]: warning: not owned by postfix: /opt/zimbra/data/postfix/./spool/pid/unix.showq
    Sep 17 13:41:17 vmserver postfix/postfix-script[12605]: warning: not owned by postfix: /opt/zimbra/data/postfix/./spool/pid/unix.smtp
    Sep 17 13:41:17 vmserver postfix/postfix-script[12606]: warning: not owned by postfix: /opt/zimbra/data/postfix/./spool/pid/master.pid
    Sep 17 13:41:17 vmserver postfix/postfix-script[12608]: warning: not owned by postfix: /opt/zimbra/data/postfix/./spool/pid/inet.smtp
    Sep 17 13:41:17 vmserver postfix/postfix-script[12609]: warning: not owned by postfix: /opt/zimbra/data/postfix/./spool/pid/unix.cleanup
    Last edited by BigBirdy; 09-17-2009 at 02:42 PM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Let's start with the basic information. How much RAM is on this server? If it's a VM how much RAM is allocated to the VM? Post the output of the following (run on the zimbra server):

Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    dig yourdomain.com mx
    dig yourdomain.com any
    host `hostname`  <-- use that exact command with backticks not single quotes
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Might have been related to cached content as I have been experimenting with some proxies. After a reboot, for some reason, I could then login and all seems fine now. Clearly the main point I have learned here is the importance of ensuring mx records point back to the server, and properly functioning dns.