Thread: New Ubuntu/ZCS Install issues

Hybrid View

Default New Ubuntu/ZCS Install issues

Last week I did a fressh Ubuntu 8.04 install so that I could setup and test Zimbra 6 opensource for our new email server. After some hiccups, I got everything installed and was able to send internal emails. I assumed the reason for no external was due to dns/mx issues. But now I am running into several other problems.

First, background. Our internal network domain name is different from that of the email domain name. This is due to an upcoming company name change and has to be this way. Our current mail server is running as such without issue.

We use a firewall on which the external IP is mapped to the internal ip of the mail server. As of Friday, the webmail was accessible from outside and inside, but still no external mail coming or going.

I am also having the following problems:

Do not remember setting a password for the "zimbra" user and cannot find a default one anywhere, so I cannot start, stop or restart the server using zmcontrol as in the install guide.

When accessing the admin console and clicking on server, I get an auth error as it tries to contact "zimbra@..."

And as of now...I can no longer access the admin console. I have rebooted the ubuntu server repeatedly hoping it would come back. Server can ping and be pinged and can reach the internet. Am assuming the Zimbra server is not starting for some reason.

Please help...if I can't get this working very quickly the powers that be will force me to choose another server.

To become the zimbra user, you can log in as root, and then "su - zimbra". You can also set a password for the zimbra user as root, using the passwd command. I.e.:

passwd zimbra

after which it will prompt you for what password to set for the zimbra user.

--Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

Thanks, I was able to get to it and as assumed the server was not running and will not start. Due to the numerous issues I am having, I believe I am going to wipe out the whole server and start all over from scratch. Thanks for your help

OK, so we still have a problem. I did a clean install of both the server and Zimbra. Server install went fine, no problems. Once the OS was installed, I was able to ping other machines on my network as well as external IPs and was even able to resolve external DNS. I thought my original problem may have been due to Split DNS issues, so I went through the whole process again checking progress along the way. Once I made the first couple changes, I could no longer resolve external dns. I kept going and set everything up as I was supposed to and nothing worked. So I undid it.

To my thinking, I do not need split DNS setup because my firewall is handling that part. The only thing the server needs to know is its internal IP. With that setup, everything appears to be working as far as dns/resolving/nslookup issues.

The problem this time occured when trying to install Zimbra. Everything went smoothly until it tried to configure ldap. Gave me an error, failed and I cannot get it to install and configure properly. I believe the error # was 99, but will try to post the actual error message shortly.

geekgirl, googling ldap error 99 gave me the following which may help:
    Ldap Error

I'm far from expert, but my experience is that you must have dns set up with mx and a records for the domain before installing ZCS. I only reply here because I noticed there wasn't another response. I've had my own issues with split dns! Good luck!