Thread: Zimbra for Wndows?

Angry Zimbra for Wndows?

Hi there,

I am a newbie to this forum.I 've got a windows system (Win XP Sp2) and I want to use and test this amazing email system.Do you guys know where I can download Zimbra for Windows?

Currently Zimbra isn't available for windows. You can find out more about Zimbra for Windows in this thread.

The thread mentions that the MTA is missing for windows. If you're interested in hacking around and don't need an MTA, you can grab the source and follow the directions in docs/INSTALL.txt to get Zimbra up and running MTA-less. Without an MTA, you can experiment with the UI's, use the SOAP API's, etc, but you will not be able to receive mail.

Sorry Jules,

This only runs on *nix operating systems, no windows O/S support. But if you read up on Fedora Core 3 you should have a great start to install it on that O/S. I think FC3 is a good choice for beginners. There are lots of howto's that will explain a lot about the install process. You just need the time to read and learn

After that, read the quick guide to install Zimbra at http://www.zimbra.com/downloads/zimb...ick_start.html

The instructions are good and work without a hitch for most people

Enjoy!

I have WinXP sp2 installed on my desktop. I was just wondering if I could use any Zimbra client with my Exchange 2003 system. I just want to avoid Outlook, if there is a webclient available from Zimbra.

Zimbra is a complete email system. Think of it more in terms of an Exchange replacement rather than an Outlook replacement. There is a Zimbra browser-based client, but it needs to be used with the Zimbra server.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

zimbra desktop might work as a client for just the email bit?

Quote Originally Posted by soxfan View Post
    Zimbra is a complete email system. Think of it more in terms of an Exchange replacement rather than an Outlook replacement. There is a Zimbra browser-based client, but it needs to be used with the Zimbra server.
    >>Zimbra browser-based client, but it needs to be used with the Zimbra server

yes, this is what is confusing me. I have Exchange server already in place. Was wondering if I could use any Zimbra client with my exchange 2003?. (I just want to avoid Outlook, incase possible).

You learn something new every day. I thought the Zimbra Desktop required a Zimbra server at the minimum, and then other types of accounts could be added. I'm assuming a connection to Exchange would be as a IMAP/POP3 account, and that you wouldn't get calendar, contacts, tasks, etc.