Thread: Alias domains

Default Alias domains

Hi,

I have several users that need to send/recieve email via the same account name and several different domains. What I have done is create the account on the main domain, then add the extra domains as an alias domain with zmprov, then add a domain forward from one domain to the other with zmprov zimbraCatchallAddress

The problem is that these extra domains are actually held elsewhere and whilst the local user son the system can send and recieve to the extra domains OK, any mail that should go to the external system is kept local and rejected as the mailbox does not exist.

Is there any way to keep the functionality that we can have some users on these domains, being able to send as these domains, and get external mail to go out for mailboxes that do not actually exist on the server?

I hope someome understands what I am trying to do!?

Thanks.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pjsmith View Post
    then add a domain forward from one domain to the other with zmprov zimbraCatchallAddress.
    You should remove that otherwise you'll end up with a ton of Spam in your users Inbox - spammers love catch-all addresses.

Remove the extra domains from your system and add the option (in the Admin UI) to 'allow users to send from any address', then from the user Preferences Account/Persona create a persona for replying to the mail address you want.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hi,

THanks for that. That still requires me to add the domain as a local domain though? I think the main issue is that whilst these few users require email @ this domain, the actually domain is hosted on a mail server at the main company and the mx records also point there. I think becuase I have added the domain locally in order to get the local user accounts added with that domain, it see's it as a local domain and any mail for that domain that does not match a local user account is bounced rather than being forwarded out to the real server hosting this domain. Any way to have a persona @ a domain that isn't actually hosted on the zimbra server? For isntance, could you add a local persona for paul@hotmail.com and still send from the zimbra server to other hotmail users?