Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 3.1.3OS Upgrade Problem

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ridgefield, CT
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    9

    Default 3.1.3OS Upgrade Problem

    I have 3.1.2OS running fine on Fedora 4, but the upgrade to 3.1.3OS seems to have gone a bit wacky.

    I stopped Zimbra, and started the install script.

    The script detected the existing install fine, asked me to upgrade (as with the 3.11 to 3.12 upgrade).

    It was during the existing package removal process that things went crazy. It removed ldap, and a couple of others, then somehow got tripped up, couldn't remove a couple of processes and set a few things readonly. Things scrolled by quickly, so I couldn't catch which ones, and am not sure which log to look in (there's nothing in zimbra.log referring to this incident).

    Zimbra was now in a completely non-functional state, so I reverted to the image backup I created prior to the upgrade.

    Being potentially insane, I tried this upgrade on the reverted backup and got the same results. Now trying the same thing a 3rd time would prove conslusively that i was crazy, so I reverted the image backup again and decided to live with 3.1.2 until I can sort this out.

    I have imaged the botched half installed system, and am ready to provide whatever logs are needed...I'm just not quite sure where this stuff gets logged.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Thatcher, AZ
    Posts
    5,606
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Would you mind posting your installation log? This could prove most helpful.

    Also, did you run the install script as root or Zimbra?

    John

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ridgefield, CT
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Ran as root (when you try to run as zimbra it say run as root!)

    I just finished imaging onto a 2nd machine and the file system required some serious fsck to mount.

    Where does the install log live?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Thatcher, AZ
    Posts
    5,606
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Yeah, I know it will kick you out if you don't run as root. . . but weirder things have happened.

    The install log will be in /tmp/install.log.xxxx (xxxx=some random number)

    You may have multiple copies of the log. You will want to post the one with the timestamp closest to the failed install.

    Good luck,
    jh

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ridgefield, CT
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    It's a short and not terribly informative log: install.log.5471 (the only one timestamped yesterday)

    COMMAND: zmlocalconfig -s | sed -e "s/ = \(.*\)/=\'1\'/" > /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig.save
    COMMAND: zmcontrol shutdown
    Host domain.com
    Stopping antispam...Done
    Stopping antivirus...Done
    Stopping imapproxy...Done
    Stopping ldap...Done
    Stopping logger...Done
    Stopping mailbox...Done
    Stopping mta...Done
    Stopping snmp...Done
    Stopping spell...Done


    Yep...that's it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Thatcher, AZ
    Posts
    5,606
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Are there any more logs in that folder? If there are, would you mind posting those?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ridgefield, CT
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Only one other: install.log.10352: short but sweet

    COMMAND: zmlocalconfig -s | sed -e "s/ = \(.*\)/=\'\1\'/" > /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig/config.save

    I checked the live (preupgrade) 3.1.2 install and found only this same install.log.10352 as well.


    The other logs are zmcontrol.out (5 of them) and zmcontrol_err (1) and zmcontrol_status (1). Are these interesting to you?
    Last edited by mcevoys; 06-16-2006 at 09:17 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Ridgefield, CT
    Posts
    152
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I got some extra time to monkey with the botched-upgrade system. Upon rebooting, it locks when starting Zimbra, so I had to ctrl-break a few dozen times even to log in.

    Once in, I reran ./install.sh from the same 3.13 files that caused the problem, and it appears to have now upgraded successfully.

    I then tried this double upgrade on the production system and after the same explosion/ctrl-break process now have production running on 3.13.

    I still have a 2nd copy of this running if there's files you'd like to poke at.

    What I've learned?
    1. My image backups work great
    2. Always Always Always image my system prior to upgrading

Similar Threads

  1. 4.01 to 4.02 upgrade problem (with solution)
    By criley in forum Migration
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2006, 12:36 AM
  2. Certificate problem following 3.1.0 -> 4.0 upgrade
    By simonellistonball in forum Migration
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 02:56 PM
  3. 3.0.1 GA upgrade problem
    By kollross in forum Administrators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-04-2006, 11:42 AM
  4. Another odd GA upgrade problem (FYI)
    By meikka in forum Installation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 01:38 PM
  5. Odd GA upgrade problem
    By drewage in forum Installation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-08-2006, 10:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •