Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Installation ERROR - Please fix your /etc/hosts file...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    268
    Rep Power
    6

    Unhappy Installation ERROR - Please fix your /etc/hosts file...

    Hi,

    I have searched forums and Google, but I cannot find solution for my issue. Every time I try to run ZCS installation on brand new fresh CentOS computer, I get the same error:

    Code:
    ERROR: Installation can not proceeed.  Please fix your /etc/hosts file
    to contain:
    
        
    
    Where  is the ip address of the host,
     is the FULLY QUALIFIED host name, and
     is the (optional) hostname-only portion
    Now, I have tried /etc/hosts file with LAN IPs:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain   localhost
    10.1.1.126   zimbra.mydomain.com   zimbra
    OR with piblic IPs:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain   localhost
    81.29.58.126   zimbra.mydomain.com   zimbra
    But nothing works

    If I PING either "zimbra" either "zimbra.mydomain.com" I get this:
    Code:
    ping zimbra
    PING localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.025 ms
    64 bytes from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.056 ms
    64 bytes from localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.039 ms
    my resolv.conf is:
    Code:
    search mydomain.com
    nameserver 10.1.1.1
    nameserver 81.29.56.100
    Any other idea?

  2. #2
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    I assume you have a Split DNS set-up? During your search of the forums you probably cam across several posts of mine that requested information to diagnose the problem. In case you missed it, here it is again: please post the output of the following commands (run on the Zimbra server):

    Code:
    cat /etc/hosts
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    dig yourdomain.com mx
    dig yourdomain.com any
    host `hostname`  <-- use that exact command with backticks not single quotes
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    268
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Nope, I don't have Split DNS configured.

    I was trying to install BIND on my CentOS, but it seems to be pain in the ass for a Linux newbie like me.
    So I rather configured my Cisco firewall to serve as local DNS and forced it to resolve "zimbra.mydomain.com" locally to local IP 10.1.1.126

    Now dig zimbra.mydomain.com returns:
    Code:
    ;;ANSWER SECTION
    zimbra.mydomain.com.  0  IN  A  10.1.1.126
    And dig zimbra.mydomain.com mx returns:
    Code:
    ;;ANSWER SECTION
    mydomain.com.  3600  IN  SOA  dnsServer.mydomain.com. soacontact.mydomain.com. 1107239823  14400 7200 950400 3600
    Command host zimbra (without backquotes, since I cannot type any character with ALT-key via remote)
    Code:
    zimbra.mydomain.com has address 10.1.1.126
    resolv.conf
    Code:
    search mydomain.com
    nameserver 10.1.1.1
    nameserver 81.29.56.200
    hosts file
    Code:
    127.0.0.1   localhost.localdomain   localhost
    10.1.1.126   zimbra.mydomain.com   zimbra
    But still the same error running .\install.sh

    BTW...thanx for your reply and also please understand, that I type manually all copy-paste texts, since copy-paste is not working remotelly neither via VNC viewer

  4. #4
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Labsy View Post
    Nope, I don't have Split DNS configured.

    I was trying to install BIND on my CentOS, but it seems to be pain in the ass for a Linux newbie like me.
    So I rather configured my Cisco firewall to serve as local DNS and forced it to resolve "zimbra.mydomain.com" locally to local IP 10.1.1.126
    You really should install BIND on your LAN, if you have problems setting it up then use webmin to administer your server (it has a DNS config module).

    Quote Originally Posted by Labsy View Post
    Now dig zimbra.mydomain.com returns:
    This is incorrect, you need to use the domain name not the FQDN of your server - it should be 'dig mydomain.com'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Labsy View Post
    Command host zimbra (without backquotes, since I cannot type any character with ALT-key via remote)
    Code:
    zimbra.mydomain.com has address 10.1.1.126
    I need to see that command with the backquotes for confirmation that it's working correctly.

    You really do need to install BIND on this LAN for this to work correctly. Are you using VNC to access the desktop on this machine? If you are I'd suggest that NX is a better solution, check the CentOS wiki for details. Cant' you ssh into this server?
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Posts
    268
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    This is incorrect, you need to use the domain name not the FQDN of your server - it should be 'dig mydomain.com'.
    dig mydomain.com returns, as expected:
    Code:
    ;;ANSWER SECTION
    mydomain.com.  3600  IN  A  xx.yy.zz.qq
    ...which is the public IP of "mydomain.com" web server on 1000 km distant location. Neither this server nor this IP has anything to do with Zimbra server. They are 1000 km apart, each on its own LAN, not connected in anyway.
    Only sub-domain A-record "zimbra.mydomain.com" is pointing to location2 in public DNS, while root domain "mydomain.com" is in location1.
    Might that be a catch?

    host `hostname` (with backquotes) returns the same as without backquotes:
    Code:
    zimbra.mydomain.com has address 10.1.1.126
    Regarding DNS inside this LAN:
    Did you mean that I need to setup BIND on exactly Zimbra server, or would it be sufficient just to have DNS server inside Location1 LAN network?
    There are 4 other servers in Location1, beside Zimbra server, including Cisco firewall, which is curently used as DNS forwarder with static DNS mapping for "zimbra.mydomain.com".

  6. #6
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Labsy View Post
    dig mydomain.com returns, as expected:
    Code:
    ;;ANSWER SECTION
    mydomain.com.  3600  IN  A  xx.yy.zz.qq
    ...which is the public IP of "mydomain.com" web server on 1000 km distant location. Neither this server nor this IP has anything to do with Zimbra server. They are 1000 km apart, each on its own LAN, not connected in anyway.
    That's fine (and has nothing to do with your mail server) but you need to create valid DNS A & MX records for you mail server inside the LAN using the instructions in the SPlit DNS article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Labsy View Post
    [B]Only sub-domain A-record "zimbra.mydomain.com" is pointing to location2 in public DNS, while root domain "mydomain.com" is in location1.
    Might that be a catch?
    Yes but you don't need a sub-domain, you need valid DNS A & MX records (for domain.com) on an external DNS server to point to the public IP of your firewall at your location - or are you telling me there's already a mail server running elsewhere?

    Quote Originally Posted by Labsy View Post
    [B]host `hostname` (with backquotes) returns the same as without backquotes:
    Code:
    zimbra.mydomain.com has address 10.1.1.126
    OK, that's correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by Labsy View Post
    [B]Regarding DNS inside this LAN:
    Did you mean that I need to setup BIND on exactly Zimbra server, or would it be sufficient just to have DNS server inside Location1 LAN network?
    You can use any DNS server on your LAN, the Split DNS is only one example of how to set it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Labsy View Post
    [B]There are 4 other servers in Location1, beside Zimbra server, including Cisco firewall, which is curently used as DNS forwarder with static DNS mapping for "zimbra.mydomain.com".
    All you need is for your firewall (NAT router or whatever) to forward the correct ports to your LAN IP address, the DNS resolution is performed by a DNS server for 'domain.com'.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  7. #7
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Glad you've fixed it.
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    195
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Zimbra 6.04 and Ubuntu 9.10

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Glad you've fixed it.
    Is zimbra compatible to Ubuntu 9.10? Also, if I want to upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10, is it possible for me to restore my zimbra backup after installation and setup despite the Linux distro is different?
    Thanks for your response...

  9. #9
    phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Vannes, France
    Posts
    23,587
    Rep Power
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borngunners View Post
    Is zimbra compatible to Ubuntu 9.10? Also, if I want to upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10, is it possible for me to restore my zimbra backup after installation and setup despite the Linux distro is different?
    Thanks for your response...
    It's not built for that distribution, it's not tested on that distribution and it's not supported, you may getting it working but there's no guarantee.

    Please update your forum profile with the output of the following:
    Code:
    zmcontrol -v
    Regards


    Bill


    Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I've had the same problem with a fresh CentOS 5.4 install. The problem is not the formatting of the /etc/hosts file but is caused by the fact that perl is not installed.
    During the installation install.sh calls /util/utilfunc.sh and on line 370 of this script perl is used to perform a function.

    yum install -y perl

    will solve the problem.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 12:50 AM
  2. [SOLVED] Error running mailboxd after script backup
    By ttortosa in forum Administrators
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-22-2008, 02:33 AM
  3. Editing the /etc/hosts file
    By Tanth in forum Installation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2007, 09:53 AM
  4. Installation Failed
    By freit5 in forum Installation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-18-2006, 12:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •