Thread: Zimbra 6 - No drag to modify calendar events

Default Zimbra 6 - No drag to modify calendar events

I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I'm having an odd problem with the Zimbra Calendar. We have used Zimbra 5 and the calendar allows you to drag calendar items to move them or stretch them to change the times/duration of the item.

I've just built a new Zimbra server; using Ubuntu Server 8.04.2 LTS and Zimbra 6.0.3GA and this functionality appears to be gone. Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

I'm running the web UI in Ajax (Advanced mode). My right click menus do appear and the drag to Quick Add a new calendar entry functions perfectly.
    It's just the dragging to modify an existing calendar entry that appears to be missing.

Any ideas?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

It still works the same as in Zimbra 5.x, I'd suggest you check your browser for any add-on that may be causing this problem, see what happens when you create a new browser profile, does the problem still exist?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks for the reply Bill.

I have tried it from several different systems, using alternate browsers as well. Even freshly installed browsers with no add-ons. The condition exists across all platforms and browsers.

Just fired up a few virtual machines of different OSes (Windows XP, Ubuntu 9.10 desktop, Windows 7) and did new installs of Firefox, Safari, and IE. The drag functionality appears to be missing regardless of where I load from or which calendar view I am looking at. I've tried creating a new calendar as well with no change in the result.

I'm convinced the issue is server side. Is there something in the configuration I should be looking for?

I've also installed Zimbra Desktop and the drag functionality is there, however, I believe this is because the software run like a standalone Zimbra and forwards changes to the server. I would like this to work in the web based version, though.
    Last edited by sathane; 12-04-2009 at 05:57 PM.

any chance you're touching calendar items you don't own? that can happen when importing .ics from production to test, for example. if you double-click on the item, can you edit the times?

if it comes to that, the firebug extension for firefox is capable of tracing ajax interactions.

I'm the only user on the system at the moment with full Administrative rights to everything. These are calendar entries I've created manually, either using the drag to Quick Add, or otherwise. Even events that I've created in Zimbra Desktop and then attempted to modify in the web UI are not 'dragable'.

I can edit all of the items in question if I double click and do it that way.

Thanks for the Firebug tip. I'm going to install that now and play some more. Anything in particular that I should be on the lookout for?

Just tried something and now I'm very confused.

You mentioned permissions so I decided to log in as the 'admin' user and do some testing there. The drag functionality works as expected.

I then created another user account and configured for email. Logged in as that user and attempted to drag a freshly created calendar entry with no luck.

Here is where it gets confusing (for me):
    I create a new account with no email setup. Create a fresh calendar event and dragging works perfectly.

Perhaps some background information on my email setup will help:
    When this server was initially set up, I had attempted to set up some external accounts. There is a current bug in Zimbra 6.0.3 which results in the following error whether you set the account to leave messages on the server or not:

Error: leaving messages on server requires support for UIDL

Here is a thread discussing the issue:
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/adminis...port-uidl.html

Due to this problem, I implemented a workaround or sorts to get this working for me. I created a Persona for my ISP address and enabled the option to send email from any address. I then set all reply-to preferences to show my ISP email address and set the Persona as the default address to send messages from. Email works great. Sending and receiving have been flawless. The only issue I can see is the calendar drag function being killed in those accounts that have the email set up.

To further test this, I've removed the Persona on my account. As it turns out, it looks like that wasn't needed in the first place. Simply having the ISP email address in the "Choose the name that appears in the "From" field of email messages" section provides the functionality I need. Dragging calendar items still doesn't work though.

I'm playing with the mail config right now, flipping options on and off to see what the trigger is. I'll report back if I find the cause.

Yeah, you have a mismatch between the ORGANIZER in the iCalendar and what Zimbra thinks your email address is.

There's been a lot of work in that general area, for example Bug 41638 – Calendar doesn't recognize organizer when zimbraPrefFromAddress is set (fixed in 6.0.4). If you don't see your issue on pm.zimbra.com / bugzilla.zimbra.com, please post a new bug with steps to reproduce.

Not clear to me if the From address fiddling is something you're going to need to do in production, or just on your test server.

Rich, you are absolutely right!

I spent most of last night playing with this and I did notice that when I was unable to drag an entry, when mousing over the entry, it would say "Organizer: myemailname@ISPdomain.net". This is the email address that was in the From: field. I found that when I remove the forced From: I would be able to edit entries by dragging again, but only after logging off and then logging back in, and entries that showed the incorrect organizer had to be removed and recreated to restore proper functionality.

I will attempt to replicate the issue by setting a forced From: address on a completely different Zimbra server and seeing if the issue presents itself again. I can easily reproduce the issue on my own server here at home.

If I see that this is happening on the other server as well, I will post a new bug.

I've been hearing about 6.0.4 and am very excited for it's release. If it fixes this issue, that's great, but I've read that the "Error: leaving messages on server requires support for UIDL" bug is also corrected in that version - both issues I've wrestled with.

This Zimbra server is my home production server. It fetches mail from my ISP and I had the forced From: field set to have all new outgoing messages show my ISP email address rather than the DynDNS domain I have the box set to. I guess I could do this with a Persona and set it to always reply with that address when replying to messages sent to my ISP email address, but I would have to manually select that Persona each time I composed a new message as there is no way I can see to set that Persona as default.

Anyhow, thanks so much for all your help. I'll just have to wait until the new version comes out to see if it makes things easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Graves View Post
    Yeah, you have a mismatch between the ORGANIZER in the iCalendar and what Zimbra thinks your email address is.

There's been a lot of work in that general area, for example Bug 41638 – Calendar doesn't recognize organizer when zimbraPrefFromAddress is set (fixed in 6.0.4). If you don't see your issue on pm.zimbra.com / bugzilla.zimbra.com, please post a new bug with steps to reproduce.

Not clear to me if the From address fiddling is something you're going to need to do in production, or just on your test server.