Thread: [SOLVED] Spam settings persisting through upgrades (Z 6.0)?

Question [SOLVED] Spam settings persisting through upgrades (Z 6.0)?

I've been an administrator of a postfix/amavisd-new/spamassassin setup for years so I'm very aware of how little spam is caught under a default install of these programs. I'm *assuming* that Zimbra, since it's based off of these core technologies, would have a similar dismal spam blocking ratio (no offense to Zimbra, I love the program). I'm looking at porting over my existing spamassassin config + razor2 + DCC + a few RBL's + whitelist/blacklist to a Zimbra installation. My only concern is the fact that several places (Improving Anti-spam system - Zimbra :: Wiki & http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...tabases-3.html for an older version) mention that upgrades have the potential of wiping out the custom spam fighting rules when updating, even from one minor version to the next. I would like to hear from users with a similar, customized spam system on the pitfalls, workarounds, and tips for making the Zimbra upgrade process easier and more manageable. Thanks in advance.

Create your own .cf under /opt/zimbra/conf/spamassassin and put local customisations into that ... I have switched to running a front-end MTA and left the backend ZCS vanilla (for a number of reasons) but I have added my own .cf for handling a shared MySQL Bayes connection and it works fine across upgrades.

That's GREAT news uxbod. Right now, my postfix handles the whitelist/blacklist and the RBL's (all defined in the postfix config file main.cf). But I could just as easily move all of my spam settings into SpamAssassin. I guess I'll just have to keep in mind one poster's comment from http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...abases-2.html:
    Just make your new file come lexically after "local" and you can override any settings there.
    So if I make my .cf files start with any letter from m-z, I'll be golden. Thanks for the clarification.