Thread: Install plan

Hybrid View

Default Install plan

I plan to use Zimbra Open Source edition for my mail server. The users of my mail server will be 35,000++. Should I use multiserver for my mail server? What is the best strategy that fit my plan?

Well yes, that seems obvious - multiple servers for sure. I think there's a howto for that. I seem to remember that zimbra recommends NOT to put it on an NFS share - It should work ok on NFS, if you have a major vendor, but their comment was that not all NFS is created equal - from a stability standpoint I think...

ps just chipped in since no-one had answered you for 1 day...

I don't plan to use NFS. For storage, I want to use SAN (Maybe SUN Storagetek). Is it OK?

Quote Originally Posted by ba_tux View Post
    I plan to use Zimbra Open Source edition for my mail server. The users of my mail server will be 35,000++. Should I use multiserver for my mail server? What is the best strategy that fit my plan?
    Interesting that you will not be using the Network Edition for a deployment of this size; you will be losing out on the Zimbra-supplied live backup routines, mobile and Outlook support, etc.

With Zimbra NE, you would also be able to work with Zimbra Sales, who would help you design your system.

Regardless, I would recommend you search the wiki and some of the NE documentation for large deployments to see about server topologies, disk requirements, etc.

There is no one "right way" for large systems like yours; it depends very much on mail volumes, mailbox sizes, how many simultaneous users and how they will be connecting to Zimbra.

After you get a little more familiar with how Zimbra scales, feel free to come back here with specific questions. There are a number of users here running/supporting larger systems, who will be happy to help!

Keep us posted!
    Mark