Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi server install not working

Default Multi server install not working

Hello all,

I've been trying to start a multi server install after a sucessfull single-server installation.

My picture: 1 ldap server, 1 mta server, 1 mailbox server.
    Did everything like the manual said, 1st ldap,2nd mailbox and last mta.
    When i try send a mail to myself i get this big java error. bottom line it says it cannot conect to localhost 25.

So I'm stucked, i haven't tried the mta conf yet but i thing zimbra store should be able to send mail to itself !

Any clues ?

Thank you in advance

naa

I am assuming you are using the web interface?? If you make sure you configure the webmail mta hostname attribute on the MTA tab of your mail store server in the admin console.

Hello,

Yes I'm using the web interface, the webmail mta field is set to localhost,i changed it to it's fqdn name but still nothing.

The error
    aused by: javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host: web01.mydomain.pt, port: 25;
    nested exception is

From the command prompt i did a netstat -na but i don't see any service running on port 25 , if the java message is correct shouldn't there be a service running on port 25 ? - What I'm I missing here ?

Naa

Is postfix running on port 25 on your web01 server? If not you've got the config wrong.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

No no postfix is running on web01. netstat -na shows no port 25 open.

I configured web01 only as a mailstore, i didn't install the mta component because in the multi server install Guide says I should only install the zimbra core,store and log components. The mta component is on another server called mx1, and postfix is up an running with no problems.

If postfix should be running in my mailstore server how do i start it?
    I used zmcontrol command to start & stop services and with no errors.
    Instalation was also with no errors.
    Do I need to install the MTA component also in the mailstore server or does it relay the messages to MTA server ? I'm I missing something here ?

Regards,

naa

if mta is not installed on web01 you can't use web01 for the webmail mta. try using mx1

Done.

Web01 now delivers all the mail to mx1. mx1 relays the messages to internal domains & the internet. Tested it and it works fine.
    Thanks!

New Question:

POP & IMAP clients should point to web01 were the mailboxes live,but if they want to send mail the smtp server must be mx1 not web01. Correct ?

I tested a POP3 Client and was able to receive mail via web01 but sending mail using mx1 was always refused. I tweaked around the smtp authentication in outlook express but was not able to find correct options to make it work.

I've searched the FAQ regarding the SMTP relay configuration. Everything seems correct, as said in the wiki, zimbraMtaAuthHost & zimbraMtaAuthURL should point to the mailbox server

[zimbra@mx1 ~]$ zmprov gs mx1.mydomain.pt | grep Auth
    zimbraMtaAuthEnabled: TRUE
    zimbraMtaAuthHost: web01.mydomain.pt
    zimbraMtaAuthURL: https://web01.mydomain.pt:443/service/soap/
    zimbraMtaTlsAuthOnly: TRUE

In Outlook express I'm using mx1 as smtp server with ssl enabled, but mx1 logs show :
    Jul 7 11:06:02 mx1 postfix/smtpd[24172]: SSL_accept:SSLv3 flush data
    Jul 7 11:06:02 mx1 postfix/smtpd[24172]: TLS connection established from 58-238.dial.nortenet.pt[212.13.58.238]: TLSv1 with
    cipher RC4-MD5 (128/128 bits)
    Jul 7 11:06:04 mx1 postfix/smtpd[24172]: warning: 58-238.dial.nortenet.pt[212.13.58.238]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed
    Jul 7 11:06:05 mx1 postfix/smtpd[24172]: lost connection after AUTH from 58-238.dial.nortenet.pt[212.13.58.238]
    Any commnets ? Any clues ?

naa
    Last edited by Nassri; 07-07-2006 at 04:27 AM.

SASL LOGIN authentication failed

Either the mta url for SASL is wrong or your password is wrong. Seems to be trying SMTP auth but it's not working yet.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Thanks KevinH.

I'm really trying to put this together and I'm having quite a hard time.

1st- My Sasl file in the MTA box points to the mailbox server web01.Is this correct ?

saslauth.conf
    zimbra_url: https://web01.mydomain.pt:443/service/soap/
    zimbra_cert_file: /opt/zimbra/conf/smtpd.crt
    zimbra_cert_check: off

2nd - I'm using my mailstore server to fetch Pop3/imap to my clients & my MTA server as smtp server for my clients. In other words for my pop clients i have the pop server as web01 and smtp server as mx1. Is this correct ?

3rd -If the above is all correct, what follows next ?

Naa

1 zmprov gs mx1.mydomain.pt | grep MailMode

if that returns "http" (instead of "https" or "mixed"), then you need to reset the authurl like this:

zmprov ms mx1.mydomain.pt zimbraMtaAuthHost web01.mydomain.pt

2 you are correct that pop, imap, and web clients will talk to web01 and smtp clients (and servers) will talk to mx1

3 is saslauthd running (zmcontrol status)? how is the mail client configured?