Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SMTP Relay

Nick, Do you have an SMTP relay configured in the admin UI? If so you may try rentering the data, then restart the mta.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Yes, I've got the global setting "Relay MTA for external delivery" set to match the server in my ./conf/relay_password file. I changed it to xxx.com, and then back to the correct value, and still, no success, I get the same errors:

Code:
    Apr 16 10:34:19 macmini postfix/qmgr[27339]: DB4461A0B4C: from=, size=1379, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Apr 16 10:34:20 macmini postfix/master[27306]: warning: process /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.9/libexec/smtp pid 27342 exit status 1
    Apr 16 10:34:20 macmini postfix/master[27306]: warning: /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.9/libexec/smtp: bad command startup -- throttling
    Apr 16 10:35:20 macmini postfix/smtp[27382]: fatal: open database /opt/zimbra/conf/relay_password.db: Invalid argument
    Apr 16 10:35:21 macmini postfix/master[27306]: warning: process /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.9/libexec/smtp pid 27382 exit status 1
    Apr 16 10:35:21 macmini postfix/master[27306]: warning: /opt/zimbra/postfix-2.2.9/libexec/smtp: bad command startup -- throttling
    I assume the admin interface is a wrapper around zmprov. If there are other settings I should grab from zmprov, I'm happy to wade through it, I just don't understand how all the settings are laid out, yet.

thanks!
    -Nick

ls -l /opt/zimbra/conf/relay_password.db

What does that return?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    ls -l /opt/zimbra/conf/relay_password.db

What does that return?
    Hi Kevin, Thanks again for your quick responses.

Code:
    [nick@macmini ~]> ls -l /opt/zimbra/conf/relay_password*
    -rw-r--r--   1 zimbra  zimbra     58 Apr 11 13:44 /opt/zimbra/conf/relay_password
    -rw-r--r--   1 zimbra  zimbra  16384 Apr 15 21:47 /opt/zimbra/conf/relay_password.db
    cheers,
    -Nick

What do you get if you turn off relay?

Before I tried enabling authenticated relay, outbound email was working ok. I had been using another machine on my network as the SMTP server, and it was in turn relaying through the auth server.

Kevin, if it's helpful, you can contact me directly, or PM me contact info and I can contact you. I might be able to set up direct access to the box or something similar, and then we can post what fixed the issue.

thanks,
    -Nick

I guess I should have asked the obvious. Can you PM me your contents of the .db file?

Default Ugh. Figured out what was wrong

Hi, I figured out what was wrong. The Invalid argument comes from the relay_password.db file's version being mismatched with the version of postfix. The reason is that in the instructions above, the file is created with
    $ postmap /opt/zimbra/conf/relay_password
    It would be a lot safer to use:
    $ /opt/zimbra/postfix/sbin/postmap /opt/zimbra/conf/relay_password
    since at least on a Mac, there's another postfix install elsewhere on the machine which doesn't match the version used by Zimbra.

Kevin or others, in the long run, it might be nice to enable an install option to use versions of the off-the-shelf tools you use from elsewhere in the system. It's a bit silly that I have to run a whole separate web server, mysql, etc. for just my email system, since my machine will be doing a lot more than just email.

thanks for all your help, though!

cheers,
    -Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nick
    Kevin or others, in the long run, it might be nice to enable an install option to use versions of the off-the-shelf tools you use from elsewhere in the system. It's a bit silly that I have to run a whole separate web server, mysql, etc. for just my email system, since my machine will be doing a lot more than just email.
    This issue has been covered quite a bit. We choose to pre-bundle for many reasons but simplicity being the first. It also allows us to run on many more platforms since we can depend on each component being the correct version and configured/compiled/tuned exactly for Zimbra's needs.