Thread: Email Domain Setup

Default Email Domain Setup

Hi there

I installed the latest version of Zimbra Network Edition in demo mode still and have a couple of domains with accounts working correctly but I'm running into a problem with the default domain and my domain.

I've setup the default domain as zmail.mydomain.com. Good so far but I also want to add my domain mydomain.com which I've done and created an email account.

The problem is that email to mydomain.com never arrives and there's no bounce back or error. There's no problem with the other domains so I can only assume there's a conflict between the default and actual domain since they both have the same Root domain name.

I need to use a unique FQDN (or do I?) as the Zimbra default domain name and I want to use my domain name so how can I set this up so email gets routed correctly. I've done this on other mail servers before without problems.

I've tried using an alias under the default but that didn't work either.

Can I use mydomain.com as the default even though it's publicly identified by some other FQDN or is there another way to make this work?

Thanks
    G

What does the following show
    Code:
    dig mydomain mx

As long as the MX record for mydomain.com (or any other domain for that matter) points to the Zimbra server it should work, default domain or not. Note that if you want users to log in with "User" rather then "User@mydomain.com" as their login name you will need to specify a virtual host for each domain so that it knows which domain to assume accounts are in by where users are accessing it from.

Hi uxbod

I don't point MX directly at the server. MX 1 goes to the Barracuda and MX 2 goes to a backup email server which then redirects to MX1 or directly to the mail server if MX 1 is unavailable. I define the mail server with an A record: mail.mydomain.com.

thx
    G