Thread: Dynamic DNS

Default Dynamic DNS

Brand new Zimbra user.

Is it possible to get Zimbra to send email when you are on a dynamic adsl connection?.

I already have a fully deployed Zarafa server but some aspects of that config are just not what I need. Zimbra looks a better solution, and I've set up a testing server, but because I'm on dynamic dns with that I can't send emails.

I need to test this a lot before trying with a deployed server, is there any way I can achieve this ?.

I'm currently running Zimbra on a machine at home.

TIA.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Yes of course you can send email from a Dynamic IP address but it does, however, pose some problems. You may find that either your inbound or outbound port 25 access is blocked by your ISP, you may also find that some mail servers won't accept your email if your on a dynamic IP. The way round that would be to relay inbound/outbound mail through a mail relay service, there are many services on the internet but they dos cost a small amount.

Why are you unable to send email from your test server? What errors do you get and what errors do you see in the log files? When you find what erros you've got have a look around the forums, this has most likely been answered before and if you still have problems post again..
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thank you for replying.

I will double check that port 25 is not firewalled out by my ISP, but I'm pretty sure it isnt.

I'm not too bothered about a mail relay service, if I'm having too many problems, Ill rent a linux server for a month or so to help migration.

The error I'm getting in the logfiles are (delivery temporarily suspended: connect to 127.0.0.2[127.0.0.1]:10024 Connection refused)

I'll look through the forums for help, and will reply back here if I figure it out. I strongly beleive in closing questions correctly.

The likelihood is that one of the Zimbra services isn't running, what does the output of the following command show:

Code:
    zmcontrol status
    When you installed Zimbra did you set-up a Split DNS server on your LAN? As your Zimbra server is behind a NAT (I'm assuming) router then you will need a Split DNS set-up so Zimbra can resolve it's own IP address.
    Regards

Bill

This is the output from zmcontrol status

antispam Stopped
    zmamavisdctl is not running
    antivirus Stopped
    zmamavisdctl is not running
    ldap Running
    logger Running
    mailbox Running
    mta Running
    snmp Running
    spell Running
    stats Running

--- No, I did not configure a split DNS.

Zimbra is currently configured on a test machine at home. Access to the internet is wireless through an adsl router.

The test machine is a basic debian 5 install.

I followed a howto at How to Install Zimbra on Ubuntu Edgy - Installing Zimbra Collaboration Suite on Ubuntu Edgy - Softpedia

Debain had some services installed by default, qpopper was one, uw-imapd another and exim4 . I uninstalled the first two, but for now have just stopped exim4.

I also configured zimbra to run on https only, as i need to run apache on port 80 (and am doing so). Before installation i stopped mysql but didnt uninstall as i thought zimbra used it, but a quick check after installation, and mysql was not running, so I manually started it.

Thats all the info I can think of for now, does this help ?

A little reading in the forums and it looks like it's a dns problem, not sure how to fix it as yet, maybe soemone can suggest whats wrong.

/etc/hosts now has this

127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.1.1 debian
    192.168.1.66 debian.mydynamicdnsname.homelinux.com debian

SURELY the 2nd line should be 127.0.0.1

Apart from that, is ther anything else to change ?

Quote Originally Posted by littlebritaly View Post
    A little reading in the forums and it looks like it's a dns problem, not sure how to fix it as yet, maybe soemone can suggest whats wrong.
    I've already answered this question, as you're behind a NAT router you will need to set-up a Split DNS.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebritaly View Post
    Code:
    /etc/hosts now has this

127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.1.1 debian
    192.168.1.66 debian.mydynamicdnsname.homelinux.com debian

SURELY the 2nd line should be 127.0.0.1
    The second line is irrelevant and should be removed, the first line should be in the correct format as per the Quick Start Installation Guide:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    Regards

Bill