Thread: /var/log/zimbra.log is empty

Default /var/log/zimbra.log is empty

Should be a nice quick fix, my zimbra.log file is zero bytes on my home server, the work one is about 2 meg, so I know it should be recording something!

I've searched and not found, but did see a mention of checking the permissions but that was a different issue. If it's relevent, the permissions on the file are:

Empty log: -rw-r--r-- 1 zimbra zimbra 0 Jul 16 13:45 /var/log/zimbra.log
    Working log: -rw-r----- 1 zimbra root 2101134 Jul 18 09:22 /var/log/zimbra.log

So there is a difference, but I didnt want to just go changing it without knowing exactly what I'm changing.

Any ideas?

Ammendment, I just saw the thread called "/var/log/zimbra.log is empty, why" which didnt show up when I searched for "zimbra.log empty" which is a shame.

Anyway, I've read that thread and it's about the fact that Suse10.0 uses syslog-ng.conf instead of syslog.conf and so some scripting was not happening, but the thing is I've checked the syslog-ng.conf on both boxes and they are identical.

---Update

Something was bugging me about this problem, it felt familiar somehow. Turns out I had the same issue when the home server was running Suse10.1. I rebuilt the machine to Suse10.0 to get around some problems the later version creates and forgot about the syslog. I hunted out the old thread and followed part of it and the zimbra.log is now reading again.

It's all very strange really, when I rebuild the server to Suse10.0 it was Zimbra 3.1.3, over which I restored my backup and then upgraded to 3.1.4. The part that has me confused, is why this syslog problem was not fixed with the upgrade, if there was a problem, even a problem caused by me, then I'd expect the upgrade routine to deal with it when it checks the system.
    Last edited by Dirk; 07-18-2006 at 06:30 AM.

I have the same issue and am on SuSE 10.1 -- can you point me to the other threads so I know what I need to do?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kmcital
    I have the same issue and am on SuSE 10.1 -- can you point me to the other threads so I know what I need to do?

Thanks.
    This may help http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3158