Thread: openldap / bdb / mmap problem

Default openldap / bdb / mmap problem

Hello, I am a longtime zimbra user trying to get a new configuration working. In a nutshell I am trying to make zimbra 6.0.4_GA_2038.RHEL5 run on top of a fuse based filesystem (GlusterFS). The only thing stopping me is bdb using mmap and the fact that fuse has no mmap support in typical RHEL / Centos kernels. The server is running Centos 5.4, i386, 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5.

If I can get this working it would enable real time replication underneath zimbra, and all kinds of cool failover stuff would be possible. So hopefully you can help me with this bdb issue; it's not my area of expertise.

The installation is failing at the point where it tries to run zmldapinit. I can reproduce the failure like so:
    Code:
    ./libexec/zmldapinit
    IO::Socket::INET: connect: Connection refused at ./libexec/zmldapinit line 136.
    I am certain that all DNS and /etc/hosts entries are ok and have read up on the forum posts that discuss those issues. By moving my installation directory onto a regular filesystem, zmldapinit is cured and the installation will finish. So, how can we ask ldap to be fuse compatible? Can we disable mmap? Can I recompile bdb and put a new binary in the Zimbra directory? Or is there a run time configuration option I can try?

Thanks for any help!
    Chris

Is zimbra a member of the fuse group ?

No, there is no fuse user or group. I believe that fuse based filesystems run as root so they can read/write all files and basically behave like a block device.

I'm experimenting with LDAP and one interesting result is that if I change from a bdb database to an ldbm database, everything works on a fuse mount with no problem. I know there the performance is not as good and ldbm is deprecated, but for this use case it is ok. mmap support for fuse will be coming soon in the kernel so I regard this a temporary workaround.

But when I change this setting in slapd.conf in Zimbra it has no effect. I see references to back end hdb in the ldif config files... Does anyone have any thoughts about using ldbm here?

Thanks!
    Chris