Thread: Server specifications requirement

Default Server specifications requirement

Hello,

I need your opinion with the server specifications requirement to run zimbra for 200 user each user 3 GB capacity.

Cheers,
    - In a world without walls and fences who needs windows and gates?
    - I am Running Linux.. Finally, my PC is valid & Reliable Hereafter.

hey experts where are you?

I have 250 users, currently with unlimited storage, though only a few are using more than 1gb. I went with a Dell 2950 III with Dual Xeon 5400, 8gb ram, 6x 146gb SAS, last year and it has been plenty of power. Since then I have removed 2 of the 146 and added 2 1tb drives for an HSM. Down the road once storage drops in price, we'll probably upgrade and revert back to 6x 600gb SAS drives for simplicity.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now

thank you for your post, I have the following server specifications for 200 users

Intel Pentium G6950 2.8 GHz Dual Core Processor
    2 GB RAM
    2 x 1000 GB SATA HDD
    2000 GB Bandwidth

Waiting your advice...

should work fine..but it all depends upon your traffic..if you getting lots of SPAM( in millions) then this will not hold.
    in real life nomal office use scenario this will work fine.

* if you only have 2 drives then i suggest you at-least have HW RAID 1 otherwise this SATA drive will fail on high I/O and will loose everything.

* you may need more ram if your users are using lot of IMAP, but wait till you put it to use before buying ram.

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

With 200 users one of the key components is your storage. Most will recommend RAID 10 (0+1) and as much RAM as you can afford. The processor doesn't seem to need mass power.

I'd definitely boost the RAM to at least 4gb and with 200 users at 3gb each that's 600gb total, while 1tb is good, you need to consider how you will back up the mail. If you are using the Network Edition you will need to make sure you have enough to store it on those drives or setup a secondary store for HSM. Also I would recommend additional drives to both mirror for redundancy and stripe the drives for speed. Zimbra, like most non-Exchange it uses a huge number of small tiny files and access time is critical.

One thing to note, I have a friend who runs a FOSS zimbra server on a home desktop sytem. it only has 2gb ram with 4x 250gb retail SATA drives in a RAID 0+1 with a cheap rosewill fakeraid system. It works great for his 20ish friends and family.
    Culley
    Mail | Dell 2950III | 2x Quad Core 5420 | 8gb RAM | 6x 146gb SAS RAID 0+1 | Red Hat 5.3 | Zimbra 6.0.10 Network Edition
    Test | VMware ESXi Whitebox | Phenom II Black 3.2ghz | 12gb RAM | 6x 1tb SATA RAID 0+1 | CentOS 5.4 | FOSS, Not in use now