Thread: Zimbra RAM consumption when installing and cores

Default Zimbra RAM consumption when installing and cores

I am trying to install zcs-6.0.5_GA_2213.DEBIAN5_64.20100131185825 on a TARGET-INSTALLATION: Debian 5 64-bit system that it is virtualised.

This virtual machine has only 2 GB of RAM and cannot use SWAP.

Whenever I try to install Zimbra I get "Not enough memory" errors when the installation begins to install zimlets (or before). And sometimes when the services are being started within the installation.

ANOTHER-INSTALLATION: I have another installation in another virtual machine (virtualbox) that has 1,5 GB of RAM (that has SWAP) and once Zimbra is running it only consumes about 1,2 GB of RAM. (This installation is a 6.0.4 GA Release. Debian 5. 32 bits)

As I thought that TARGET-INSTALLATION 64 bit nature was the problem for RAM I tried to make a 32-bit chroot with the same RAM problems.

I also tried to install 65-bit 6.0.4 GA release and the same thing happened.

One difference between TARGET-INSTALLATION and ANOTHER-INSTALLATION is that TARGET-INSTALLATION has eight cores and ANOTHER-INSTALLATION has one core. So... Maybe Zimbra processes try to fork as many as the number of cores that they are detected and thus the consume all the available RAM faster?!

Is it that my problem or is it that just when you install there is always a RAM consumption peak when starting services within installation? Or just a RAM consumption peak in the installation that it is bigger than normal consumption peak?

Thank you very much for your advice and if you need more information do not hesitate to ask for it.

adrian15

Smile My workaround for low resource system

After reading more carefully the forum and making some assumptions here there is what made my Zimbra installation go ok:

1. At the near end of the installation disable the start of services with 'r' key when the installation summary menu appears.

Run as a Zimbra:
    Code:
    zmlocalconfig -e zmmtaconfig_interval=3600
    zmlocalconfig -e zmstat_interval=300
    zmlocalconfig -e mailboxd_java_heap_memory_percent=10
    zmlocalconfig -e mailboxd_java_heap_new_size_percent=10

zmlocalconfig -e mailboxd_java_options="-server -Djava.awt.headless=true -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:NewRatio=2 -XX:PermSize=128m \
    -XX:MaxPermSize=128m -XX:SoftRefLRUPolicyMSPerMB=1"

zmlocalconfig -e ldap_common_threads=16
    zmlocalconfig -e ldap_common_toolthreads=8
    zmlocalconfig -e ldap_db_cachesize=50000
    zmlocalconfig -e ldap_db_idlcachesize=50000
    zmlocalconfig -e ldap_db_dncachesize=0
    zmprov mcf zimbraMessageCacheSize 5000
    Edit: /opt/zimbra/conf/my.cnf

Code:
    innodb_buffer_pool_size = 144245094
    (instead of 644245094)

Edit: /opt/zimbra/conf/amavisd.conf.in

so that

Code:
    $max_servers = 1;
    (instead of 10).

Tip: use w! in vi in order to force the saving of the file.

After doing of all these I can start zimbra with:
    Code:
    zmcontrol start
    and RAM suffers a bit but after all the services have started I have 700 MB free RAM out of 2 GB total RAM.

I suppose that I can also tweak the httpd number of instances (currently 5) but they only consume 0.1% of RAM and it does not matter to me.

Is there any low resources wiki page that I am not aware of that might have these tricks and another ones?

And... if you see that some of my settings are not appropiated or might give me some problems... please advise, I am actually a Zimbra newbie.

adrian15

Some examples for earlier releases you may adapt :- Making Zimbra run on minimal RAM - Zimbra :: Wiki