Thread: Newbie-Initial Install

Default Newbie-Initial Install

Hello.... I want to use ZCS Open source in our company...I have a question though...

What are the requirements, aside from the mail server? Do I have to set a local DNS Server?

Thanks for the support and patience as well....

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

A lot of the system requirements can be found in the user documentation.
    http://zimbra.com/community/documentation.html

The DNS question really depends on how your network and current mail server are set up.

To answer your question: Nope. If you can receive mail now with an existing mail server, you probably will be able to recieve mail on a ZCS server.

Plus, if you have any trouble, you have the power of the forums are your finger-tips.

jh

thanks for the reply....this will be new implementation, no existing mail server...will check the link....thanks for the accomodation and hopefully zcs will be implemented in our company...

In that case, you may need a little DNS configuration.
    Do you have a website? If so, then you will need to contact who ever hosts the DNS for that domain, and add an MX record and possibly a host A record (depending on your setup).

ZCS is truly a remarkable product with a HUGHLY powerful webui that no one has. We'll be here if you need help.

Obviously, I don't have a girlfriend. I spend all my time in the forums and at work Anyway, someone will be here.

jh

okay...actually we have a co-located mail server (if that's the right term), we configure outlook express so users fetch their email via pop3. as i learn the process, i will advise the one hosting our domain to point the mx to the zcs once i set it up, right?

Quote Originally Posted by matchstick_666
    okay...actually we have a co-located mail server (if that's the right term), we configure outlook express so users fetch their email via pop3. as i learn the process, i will advise the one hosting our domain to point the mx to the zcs once i set it up, right?

I'll say yes right now, with a couple of cavets.
    If your current mail server is public, and not private (behind a firewall), and the new ZCS machine will be public, then yes.

However, and easier solution will be to replace the current mail server at the co with the zcs machine (same IP/hostname and everything).

PM sent.