Thread: Looking for people who have ZCS as secondary and Sendmail as Primary

Default Looking for people who have ZCS as secondary and Sendmail as Primary

I am looking for people who have installed ZCS as their secondary mail server with a Sendmail Primary. I am having configuration issues and would love some help getting things set up and communicating properly. Thanks.

Welcome to the forums :

Why would you install ZCS as a secondary when you could just as-well install Postfix

Quote Originally Posted by uxbod View Post
    Welcome to the forums :

Why would you install ZCS as a secondary when you could just as-well install Postfix
    We are in the beginning process of possibly changing over from Sendmail and Squirrelmail to Zimbra and are initially only migrating those who will test it and all of it's functionalities so we need to have Zimbra function as a secondary server especially at the beginning stages. I followed the instructions on setting up Zimbra as a Split Domain.....as well as the instructions for Split Domain with a Sendmail Primary. Domain is "example.com". Sendmail Primary is "mail.example.com". ZCS Secondary is "zimbra.example.com". I have "example.com" domain created on ZCS server. I have created the user, "testuser@example.com" on both Sendmail and ZCS. Having followed the instructions in the "Split Domain with a Sendmail Primary", I still cannot get Sendmail to forward "testuser@example.com"'s mail to ZCS. Help PLEASE!!!!

When we migrated from a Postfix server to Zimbra we used the postfix transport table mechanism to forward email from primary (Postfix) to secondary (Zimbra). It has been a long time since I've dealt with sendmail, but I think it may have something similar to the Postfix transport tables. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Default What exactly is it doing?

Quote Originally Posted by dorianint View Post
    I followed the instructions on setting up Zimbra as a Split Domain.....as well as the instructions for Split Domain with a Sendmail Primary. Domain is "example.com". Sendmail Primary is "mail.example.com". ZCS Secondary is "zimbra.example.com". I have "example.com" domain created on ZCS server. I have created the user, "testuser@example.com" on both Sendmail and ZCS. Having followed the instructions in the "Split Domain with a Sendmail Primary", I still cannot get Sendmail to forward "testuser@example.com"'s mail to ZCS. Help PLEASE!!!!
    It really does work, but there are several things that need to be lined up. What exactly is it doing? What do you see in maillog?

Here's some things to look at off the top of my head...

Have you restarted sendmail and Zimbra?

Check to make sure that the routing rule is compiled into sendmail.cf (probably in /etc/mail). Eg:
    grep zimbra.int sendmail.cf
    Are you certain that you have a TAB character in the right place in the rule in sendmail.mc? (Between the ">" and the "$#"). Cut and paste will likely break this.

Is the alias really in aliases.db?
    grep -i testuser@zimbra.int /etc/aliases.db
    What Linux flavor are you running sendmail on?

What version of sendmail?

There might be a simpler way to do this, but here's what I did 3 years ago, and it carried forward into full Zimbra production.

Append zimbra.example.com to /etc/mail/local-host-names

Add Zimbra users to /etc/mail/virtusertable (/etc/aliases might also work). Run newaliases or makemap hash virtusertable < virtusertable unless you're sure your init script takes care of that.

Append the below to sendmail.mc, then m4 < sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf

Finally, restart sendmail.

Code:
    LOCAL_CONFIG
    LOCAL_RULE_0
    R$+ < @zimbra.example.com. >     $#esmtp $@ [zimbra.example.com.] $: $1 <@example.com>
    Note: the whitespace between the > and the $ needs to be one or more tabs, not a run of spaces.

Any user whose account is in Zimbra rather than on the local machine gets an entry in /etc/mail/virtusertable to forward the mail there. But since zimbra.example.com is in /etc/mail/local-host-names, the mail isn't actually forwarded. We don't want it to forward, because the Zimbra namespace is example.com, not zimbra.example.com. We need to catch it in ruleset 0 by hostname and then route the mail from there.