Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: planning first install, 6.06 out today?

They're fixed and integrated. Builds are started; testing & regression checking is the next phase after that.

@maxxer ya it's dependent on the 'root and 'alt root' settings - varying from article to article because it's modifiable, people use different locations like /home vs /Users on mac, or they created another workspace.

Quote Originally Posted by sugiggs View Post
    Delayed again until 8 Apr....
    Can anyone tell me if these delays when we get to the release date are the norm in the development cycle for this system?... I'm new with Zimbra (or had hoped to be!) and I'm more used to release dates being adhered to, or at least some notice given of delays. As I'm one of those crazy MAC OS X Snow Leopard users I still don't have a system to play with yet

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bigmickt View Post
    Can anyone tell me if these delays when we get to the release date are the norm in the development cycle for this system?.
    They are target release dates not fixed in stone, like any software project Zimbra is a complex (and very large) mix of components and code. Delays happen from time to time and the reason for this delay is given above, I'm sure you'd rather have software released with the bugs fixed? The current target date looks like it will be the one for release.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    They are target release dates not fixed in stone, like any software project Zimbra is a complex (and very large) mix of components and code. Delays happen from time to time and the reason for this delay is given above, I'm sure you'd rather have software released with the bugs fixed? The current target date looks like it will be the one for release.
    Many thanks for the quick response. I've been in "the game" more than 25 years, often doing battle with the leviathanic systems of IBM, Microsoft, et al so I do appreciate the complexity of a project like this; I also did note the use of the word "target". In the commercial environment where I operate we are always managing expectations... being completely new to this software and organisation I was merely looking as to where I should set my own expectations. Once again, thanks for a refreshingly quick reply.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Generally speaking a point release is normally on, or pretty close to, the target release date but occasionally it does slip a bit further due to last minute problems. The 6.0.6 should be available on the 8th (but it's always a target ).
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I'm trying to build, but it's far from being straightforward :/
    First issues with Java, now issues with curl! going to be a looong day
    YetOpen S.r.l. ~ Your open source partner
    Lecco (LC) - ITALY
    http://www.yetopen.it

yeah, i didn't even attempt once they said perforce, etc. I don't have enough experience with that and what I do have is not good

I will wait

I see that the Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) build (#38905) slipped from 6.0.6 to 6.0.7 then quickly slipped again to 6.0.8! I've seen several references to support for OS X 10.6 which say we should watch the Product Portal... well that gets to be a pretty boring sport when all that happens is that "38905" just slips further and further away. I'm concerned that support for ZCS on Mac OS X is quietly being dropped... is there anywhere I can get an official statement from Zimbra (or VMware) on this please?

Quote Originally Posted by bigmickt View Post
    I'm concerned that support for ZCS on Mac OS X is quietly being dropped... is there anywhere I can get an official statement from Zimbra (or VMware) on this please?
    BigMick, you're awfully demanding.

I work in the software business (not Zimbra) and we also keep the philosophy stated above: It will be issued when it's ready and bug fixed. Trying to meet a date is less important than trying to meet quality testing requirements.

Some of our clients complain about release dates slipping like you do. We take their complaints with a grain of salt.

If we were to issue a buggy version, it would do 20 times more damage than being 10% delayed over the length of the development project.

Slipping from the 6th to the 8th of April is hardly a long delay...

As far as Mac OS/X support, well, Zimbra is supporting a series of operating systems already. Choose one that it supports or wait for YOUR operating system, if you absolutely wish to keep it.

Development on another operating system, in a project that is open source, depends on the contributions of people using your operating system... If it's delayed, you need to ask your friends using Mac OS/X if they can contribute and speed up the work...

Sorry for being so blunt, but I fear the others answering you have their karma to protect... I don't. This is, in my opinion the straight forward truth that is not very diplomatic and may shake your feelings a bit... but truth nonetheless.