Thread: Installing Zimbra using ISP provider

Default Installing Zimbra using ISP provider

Hello folks, I was able to successfully instal Zimbra and create users, etc. I am struggling with global settings, MTA? I use an ISP webhosting server that requires authentication, I have tried every combination from Global Setting (MTA) but nothing seems to work. I want to use ZImbra as a collaboration portal to schedule meeting, rooms or equipment, and chat with employees since most employees are at remote sites. I was hoping to be able to setup Zimbra using my webhosting mail accounts as defaults not as "external Account". If I create a user in Zimbra say joe.blow@example.com which already exists at my webhosting server, I would love for all my users to authenticate automatically without having to setup an external acccount using MTA settings, is this possible? or how would I go about authenticating email accounts? do I need to setup MTA and authenticate via LDAP? I have spent several days looking for a solution with n o luck. Any help would be veru appreciated. I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on VMWARE.

I find your post a little bit confusing

For the first problem, deliver to an external relay with auth, this guide should help you: Outgoing SMTP Authentication - Zimbra :: Wiki

For the second, either you have your MX records point to your zimbra server, or use fetchmail to retrieve external messages.

But if you are at an ISP I suppose you have a fixed IP, from which you could send and receive mails directly. Why not?
    YetOpen S.r.l. ~ Your open source partner
    Lecco (LC) - ITALY
    http://www.yetopen.it

Quote Originally Posted by maxxer View Post
    I find your post a little bit confusing

For the first problem, deliver to an external relay with auth, this guide should help you: Outgoing SMTP Authentication - Zimbra :: Wiki

For the second, either you have your MX records point to your zimbra server, or use fetchmail to retrieve external messages.

But if you are at an ISP I suppose you have a fixed IP, from which you could send and receive mails directly. Why not?
    Maxxer - Thanks! I will review link but I guess the real question is how in the world do I setup Zimbra to be able to send and recieve emails? I basically followed this thread to install it & it worked great Zimbra Installation in 1 hour and got system up and running but I cannot receive or send emails. other than internal emails.

To receive messages you'll need to have the mx records for the domain you're using pointed at your server with port 25 open to the world.

With regards to sending, it should work 'out of the box'. You may be running into issues with messages getting caught in spam filters or other various issues outside of Zimbra. You should check out /var/log/zimbra.log to check for any errors.

Yaw - Very sorry for not getting back, I have been traveling. I will test hopefully tomorrow night and get back.

I contacted my Web Host company and I am told they do not support email relay, is this posiible? I had not heard of such thing, I thought so long as you can authenticate you should be able to do it. thoughts?

Where is this Ubuntu VM hosted, on premises or with your webhoster?

I run my own VM on premise.

Ok, you can probably relay via your ISP if you're unable to send yourself?

So, I ended up buying forwarding DNS services from my host to manage all emails via Zimbra & it worked great. I am testing at the moment & love it.
    THX