Thread: Zimbra LDAP MultiMaster

Exclamation Zimbra LDAP MultiMaster

Hello, i am implemeting a ambient with Zimbra 6.0, and we need multiple Masters servers for ldap, because we have some units in other states.

It's possible to use Ldap Multimaster ( N-Way Replication ) abilities in Zimbra ? ( i use ldap 2.4 n-way configuration right now in my today configurations, but without zimbra ), and if possible, how.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by strikermdd View Post
    Hello, i am implemeting a ambient with Zimbra 6.0, and we need multiple Masters servers for ldap, because we have some units in other states.

It's possible to use Ldap Multimaster ( N-Way Replication ) abilities in Zimbra ? ( i use ldap 2.4 n-way configuration right now in my today configurations, but without zimbra ), and if possible, how.
    Zimbra currently makes assumptions about the LDAP configuration, which sometimes get applied during upgrade, that would likely interfere with a MMR configuration.

I would note that MMR in OpenLDAP 2.4 as it is currently implemented is fundamentally flawed (OpenLDAP ITS - Development/6097) and not expected to work correctly until MMR supports delta-syncrepl.

We're currently looking at adding MMR support for the 7.0 release, but that will depend on a working MMR implementation being present in OpenLDAP.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

strange because i use the Multimaster ability in 2.4.x version of Openldap, i have 4 Ldap Masters and 6 Slaves. But since Zimbra migrate to cn=config config type i can't use this. Some suggestion of how i can implement this ?

And how i can access the database of the cn=config ? ( i'm using the Apache Directory Server for this ... )

Thanks

Unless you're likely to have longlasting and frequent network problems between your servers, would a single-master / multi-slave setup not do? With the master down users still have read access to ldap, so the only thing that won't work is changing preferences. They'll still be able to send and receive email as long as there's a local store / mta.

Quote Originally Posted by strikermdd View Post
    strange because i use the Multimaster ability in 2.4.x version of Openldap, i have 4 Ldap Masters and 6 Slaves. But since Zimbra migrate to cn=config config type i can't use this. Some suggestion of how i can implement this ?
    Since the person who wrote the MMR functionality notes it is broken, I'd suggest you consider it broken. Just because it has worked "so far" for you does not mean it will continue to work. You may want to spend some time reading up on exactly who "Howard Chu" is, as well.

I would note that using cn=config in no way precludes using MMR, since cn=config is the preferred mechanism for configuring OpenLDAP, and will in the future be the only supported method for configuring OpenLDAP. The cn=config database is accessed by using the hard-coded cn=config DN, and you can find the password for it by looking at the ldap_root_password localconfig key.

I would note that setting up Zimbra to use MMR is not supported, and may have unforseen consequences.

--Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    Zimbra currently makes assumptions about the LDAP configuration, which sometimes get applied during upgrade, that would likely interfere with a MMR configuration.

I would note that MMR in OpenLDAP 2.4 as it is currently implemented is fundamentally flawed (OpenLDAP ITS - Development/6097) and not expected to work correctly until MMR supports delta-syncrepl.

We're currently looking at adding MMR support for the 7.0 release, but that will depend on a working MMR implementation being present in OpenLDAP.
    any updates about MMR in Zimbra 7.0 ?
    as far as I can see Openldap version is still the same so no info available yet?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by andreika View Post
    any updates about MMR in Zimbra 7.0 ?
    You can take it that the statement about it being 'not supported' is still correct. No announcements are made in the forums about upcoming features, you'd need to either search bugzilla (or the Product Portal) for any bugs/RFEs or file an enhancement request yourself if there isn't one and give full details of the requirements for the feature.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

As previously noted, when OpenLDAP supports MMR with delta-syncrepl, then we'll be able to implement it. It remains in our plans to do so, and there is actually movement on this front. However, it definitely will not be a part of 7.0.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

okay, thank you.