Thread: Problem Migrating Zimbra to new Server

Hybrid View

Default Problem Migrating Zimbra to new Server

I'm attempting to create a test ESXi Zimbra server and have run into a problem.

I have followed the migration guide using the ./install.sh -s method and rsyncing over my backup data. I installed the same version of Zimbra, but have changed OS. After the install, I can login fine, and I see all my mail, but when I try to read any of it, I get "???mail.NO_SUCH_BLOB???" which I assume means it can't find the message file that is indexed. I have confirmed the store file is there in its entirety, and it was verified successfully.

The second problem is that most of my users aren't listed in the admin section now. Only my mailing list mailman aliases are there, that is 67 out of around 600 accounts. On my main server I have the samba extensions installed, so I'm not sure if that is having any effect.

I have done this type of migration test before to a physical server running the same OS before I had the samba extension installed, with no hiccups. Any ideas where I should start in trouble shooting this? Thanks in advance

So, two things jump to mind. First, you say you've done similar migration tests before, but on the same OS, and this time you are changing the OS. So, doesn't it seem like the OS change is the "x-factor" here? Second, all the Zimbra server migration info I've read / looked at always has the host-name and IP address on the new server matching the old server. Is this the case with your test server?

What OS are you trying to migrate to, and what "migration guide" are you using?

This is the guide I've used in the past.

Guide

According to the guide, it's for moving to a new server or OS. You just have to match ZCS Versions. I'm going from Redhat EL4 to Ubuntu 8.04.

Another "X-Factor" is the Samba/LDAP extension I have setup. I have the server Off-network, I've set my /etc/hosts file to point the live server host name to my test server IP so I can browse to "liveserver.domain.com" from my test server browser and have it load everything up without having to change any config files.

If you think it's the OS, there really is no good reason why I NEED to change OS, it just sounded like it wouldn't be a problem so long as I kept the versions the same. It still seems strange why all my users are gone.