Thread: Changing from OSE to Network Edition?

Default Changing from OSE to Network Edition?

Hi

We have an multiserver server system. One Zimbra LDAP master and on all other destinations Zimbra LDAP replicas. On every Server is an mailbox installed.

On each destination is an Samba server (domain master) that is connected to the local Zimbra server (LDAP).

So we can manage everything user specific out of zimbra (also domainusers). Every employee has his mails on the local Zimbra mailbox (fast). And if the master Zimbra server dies (Internet brakes away, ...), all other destinations can work without problems.

This works fine and without problems. Because of some features we are thinking about to buy an license for the network edition.

How easy/difficult would it be to deploy the NE on every destination?
    What is with user accounts, mails, configurations, ... ? Manually migration, automatic migration?
    Is it necessary to redeploy the samba.schema files, admin extensions, ... to Zimbra?

yogg
    Release 7.1.2_GA_3268.UBUNTU8_64 UBUNTU8_64 NETWORK edition.

Someone more knowledgeable will likely respond, but pretty sure you simply install the same version overtop your existing, only using the NE version (so you install 6.0.5 NE over the 6.0.5 OSE as an upgrade), with your new license file of course. No, should not need to reploy schema, extensions, etc.

I'd be interested in some more details of your setup, as we are hoping to move do the samba domain stuff over multiple sites/servers as well - if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me to take offline.

regards,
    greg

Thank you.

I ask because I have upgraded this "cluster" already two times (6.0.1 -> 6.0.3 -> 6.0.5). After every upgrade the samba schema, and the admin extensions was missing.

There where also some problems (bug related). So the little "start install.sh" and upgrade is done takes many many hours to get the "cluster" back to work again (6.0.3 -> 6.0.5 Certificate problem).

OSE -> NE looks also like "start install.sh" but I don't think it would be that easy .

yogg

No Zimbra salesman here who say that everything would run fine?

But other question. Is NE compatible with OSE? If I connect a test NE server to my "cluster", would this work?

yogg

You should not mix OSE and NE nodes within the same zcs deployment. As you alluded to upgrading to NE is just running an upgrade with with the NE download.

I'm sorry you have struggled with the samba/posix integration, as you might know it's not an officially supported extension with the current releases and therefor not tested in our release cycles. We are looking at officially supporting and doing a more comprehensive integration in a future zcs version, that should eliminate the upgrade problems.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!