Thread: OS X with 2-Server Cluster

Default OS X with 2-Server Cluster

Hi, I am researching Zimbra and pouring over your various docs and forums.

What caught my eye was in your 'Zimbra Architectural Overview.pdf', where it spoke about a 2-server Cluster (Fig. 3), using shared storage. And where one server is Primary and where the secondary server 'takes over' from the primary. It also mentioned that the secondary server could also host primary mailboxes of it's own (..."in order to avoid the expense of idle hardware").

This sounds great to me, but I was unable (in my head) to figure out the specific steps to accomplishing the above (using Mac servers). BTW, I would like to use Xserves (the xeon ones coming in Oct.).

Can this be easily set up using OS X or does this require the Red Hat Cluster Suite mentioned? [BTW, I have never laid my hands on Linux. Do you recommend that this would be a good time to do just that?]

I am trying to put together a proposal to present this week, so any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

ScottH

Question

Since I have had zero response, am I to assume that OS X is not a candidate to set up the auto-failover scenario as defined in your architecture white paper (and stated in orig. msg)?

If such is the case, then my question would be:

Is OS X (Xserve) a good platform to deploy on?

Is Linux Red Hat a better platform to deploy on?

I just want to define a recommended hardware configuration, based on experience. I would like it to include a good backup or failover strategy. BTW, I have read the docs -- I am looking for actual details to put together a purchase order.

Thanks,

ScottH

Scott,

Zimbra currently only officially supports cluster deployments on Redhat Enterprise cluster suite.

Mac OS X Server has IP Failover built-in but there are no solutions included with it, its just the infrastructure. You would have to write custom scripts to fail over the software and storage. So it could be made to work but it's not an out-of-the-box solution, today.

Apple Professional services offers some solutions around the storage piece specifically with Xserve, Xserve RAID and Qlogic switches and I'd be more then happy to connect you with them.

Quote Originally Posted by brian
    Scott,

Zimbra currently only officially supports cluster deployments on Redhat Enterprise cluster suite.

Mac OS X Server has IP Failover built-in but there are no solutions included with it, its just the infrastructure. You would have to write custom scripts to fail over the software and storage. So it could be made to work but it's not an out-of-the-box solution, today.

Apple Professional services offers some solutions around the storage piece specifically with Xserve, Xserve RAID and Qlogic switches and I'd be more then happy to connect you with them.
    Thanks, Brian. Very helpful.

Question: in regards to the Redhat Cluster Suite... once set up, does that whole thing actually work automatically? Also, (since this cluster stuff is new to me) how can the secondary server host it's own primary mailboxes *plus* take over as the primary in case of failure (of the primary)? Is that the way it works.... and does it *really* (work)?

BTW, Brian, if you have someone in Apple Pro Services you can connect me with, I would appreciate it. I would like to fully explore the Xserve/RAID options.

Thanks for your assistance, Brian.

Scott