Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Importing old 5.0.24 config into new 6.0.7 install

Default [SOLVED] Importing old 5.0.24 config into new 6.0.7 install

I had a working 5.0.24 ZCS, and for some unknown reason today the server went haywire. Segmentation faults everywhere, even for a single grep.

I was able to rsync the entire /opt/zimbra directory to another machine, preserving all hard and symbolic links.

As I write I'm finishing installing ZCS 6.0.7, and I'm wondering if there's some way to import all the settings from my previous setup, including mailboxes, aliases, distribution lists and so forth.

Many thanks in advance.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You should not try to move to a newer version of Zimbra, you should use the same version for a Disaster Recovery it is fairly straightforward.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You should not try to move to a newer version of Zimbra, you should use the same version for a Disaster Recovery it is fairly straightforward.
    Thank you so much, this seems really easy to do. If I have any other issues I'll post here.

It worked like a charm, thank you!

But now that I got my hands dirty already... what would be the best way to upgrade? ZCS 6 has only packages available for Debian Lenny, and ZCS 5 only has packages available for Debian Etch.

Considering I have ZCS 5.0.24 running perfectly on Debian Etch, how could I upgrade to ZCS 6?

How many users do you have on this system?
    Regards

Bill

How many users do you have on this system?
    About 60 users right now.

There's a couple of methods around the forums/blog, I would lean towards moving to a new server (if you have it). The first method is here: Moving ZCS to Another Server » Zimbra :: Blog - it basically involves you doing the steps you did earlier to recover your system. The second method is slightly long-winded and is here: ZCS-to-ZCS Migrations » Zimbra :: Blog - that is dumping each account and moving it to a new server. You could run the second one and upgrade you operating system in-place (or a clean install of the o/s & Zimbra 6) and import all the accounts to a new Zimbra 6 installation or it can be to a new server as you'd do in the first method above. Both of those should be self explanatory but ask if you have any questions.

Obviously you should take a full backup of the /opt/zimbra directory structure before doing any of the above methods of migration.
    Regards

Bill

There's a couple of methods around the forums/blog, I would lean towards moving to a new server (if you have it). The first method is here: Moving ZCS to Another Server » Zimbra :: Blog - it basically involves you doing the steps you did earlier to recover your system. The second method is slightly long-winded and is here: ZCS-to-ZCS Migrations » Zimbra :: Blog - that is dumping each account and moving it to a new server. You could run the second one and upgrade you operating system in-place (or a clean install of the o/s & Zimbra 6) and import all the accounts to a new Zimbra 6 installation or it can be to a new server as you'd do in the first method above. Both of those should be self explanatory but ask if you have any questions.

Obviously you should take a full backup of the /opt/zimbra directory structure before doing any of the above methods of migration.
    Using another machine is definitely a possibility, since I have my old /opt/zimbra stored on another hard disk.

First method is by far my preferred, since I tried it and it works perfectly when the versions are the same. But I don't think I could use it to upgrade to ZCS 6. I would need to install Debian Lenny, install a dummy ZCS 6, remove the /opt/zimbra directory and put my old /opt/zimbra in place? Since my old /opt/zimbra is ZCS 5, I don't think that would work.

Second method seems OK, but I guess I would need to recreate the entire config again (distribution lists, aliases, COSs), didn't I?

The real problem seems to lie on the fact there's no packages of ZCS 5 for Debian Lenny, and ZCS 6 requires Debian Lenny. So, as far as I know, there's no way to simply upgrade from ZCS5 to ZCS6 while keeping all my current configs, is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by vfontes View Post
    The real problem seems to lie on the fact there's no packages of ZCS 5 for Debian Lenny, and ZCS 6 requires Debian Lenny. So, as far as I know, there's no way to simply upgrade from ZCS5 to ZCS6 while keeping all my current configs, is that right?
    Now that we got a brand new server, I would like to upgrade from ZCS 5 to ZCS 6 while keeping all my current configs. Taking in consideration the text quoted above, it is possible to upgrade from ZCS5 (Debian Etch) to ZCS6 (Debian Lenny) at all?

Yes. Upgrade your Debian Etch (4) to ZCS 6 using the latest from the downloads page. Then follow the steps here to move it to the Debian Lenny (5) box: Moving ZCS to Another Server » Zimbra :: Blog