Thread: Configuration right?

Question Configuration right?

I have the Zimbra-6.0.7-OpenSource-Edition (zcs-6.0.7_GA_2473.UBUNTU8.20100616234246) installed on "Ubuntu 8.04. LTS Server"

Problem:
    - Error output for Mail: "delivery temporaily suspnded: connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024 connection refused"

I try to explain how it schould work:
    - My Web-Domain: my-web-domain.com
    - This Domainname has a CNAME-setting to a DynDNS-Adress: my-dyndns-domain.dyndns.com
    - My Router hasn't a static web-IP. My Router send my web-IP to the DynDNS-Adress.
    - The Router has the settings to forward the necessary ports to the Server (It is now running in VirtualBox). Firewall are for these ports open.
    - Server has network name: zimbra-server
    - Zimbra configuration is:
    - - Server hostname: zimbra-server
    - - Domainname: my-web-domain.com
    - - admin E-Mail: admin@my-web-domain.com

I am able to reach the zimbra website on my-web-domain.com, and it is possible to login with admin mail-adress.

I tried to send an e-mail from another e-mail host to admin@my-web-domain.com
    This can now be find in Administarion-Tool -> Waiting List -> under "to defer/shelve" (I don't if this is the right translation. In the German GUI: "zurückgestellt").
    There is also a error output for this Mail: "delivery temporaily suspnded: connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024 connection refused"
    Index-filter: "smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024"

What is wrong? Thx for help.
    Last edited by matzup; 07-02-2010 at 07:24 AM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You should not use a CNAME record, you should use DNS A & MX records to point to your Public IP address for a mail server. If you are behind a NAT router you should use a Split DNS set-up with valid and correct /etc/hosts file, have you got all that set-up correctly? You may (probably will) find you have problems sending mail from this server because you're on a dynamic IP and you should relay your outbound mail through an external mail server.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I type the wron error log.
    This is the right:
    "delivery temporaily suspnded: connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024 connection refused"
    I've edit the first post.

Quote Originally Posted by matzup View Post
    I type the wron error log.
    This is the right:
    "delivery temporaily suspnded: connect to 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024 connection refused"
    I've edit the first post.
    Please answer the questions I've asked you in my previous post.
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You should not use a CNAME record, you should use DNS A & MX records to point to your Public IP address for a mail server.
    Yes, MX-Record is no problem.
    But a A-Record is only possible to set with a IP-Adress. Either I set every 24h the new IP-Adress on the A-Record, or I use CNAME.
    But is there realy a Problem? The E-Mail arrived my server.

If you are behind a NAT router you should use a Split DNS set-up with valid and correct /etc/hosts file, have you got all that set-up correctly?
    I have not set up something like this. I'm using a Home-Network. My Router is a D-Link Router and i don't know if there is a NAT active. I set the Zimbra-Server in DMZ. Maybe that's good enough?

You may (probably will) find you have problems sending mail from this server because you're on a dynamic IP and you should relay your outbound mail through an external mail server.
    Ok, i proof my actualy Wan-IP and it is realy on some Blacklists. But i didn't try to send a e-mail from zimbra-server yet.
    It ist possible to use googlemail or another e-mail host to use as an external mail server where i am able to send my mails through?

Yes, MX-Record is no problem.
    But a A-Record is only possible to set with a IP-Adress. Either I set every 24h the new IP-Adress on the A-Record, or I use CNAME.
    But is there realy a Problem? The E-Mail arrived my server.
    Yes, it can be a problem using the CNAME and you should be able to set the A record via an update program.

I have not set up something like this. I'm using a Home-Network. My Router is a D-Link Router and i don't know if there is a NAT active. I set the Zimbra-Server in DMZ. Maybe that's good enough?
    Any router that gives you a private LAN IP address is a NAT router, I'd recommend you don't put it in the DMZ and leave it on a fixed IP behind the router. You would still need a Split DNS even if you are in the DMZ, just follow the instructions for setting it up.

Ok, i proof my actualy Wan-IP and it is realy on some Blacklists. But i didn't try to send a e-mail from zimbra-server yet.
    It ist possible to use googlemail or another e-mail host to use as an external mail server where i am able to send my mails through?
    You can use any external relay that suits you, if the relay requires Authentication the check the wiki article for details.
    Regards

Bill

Ok. I don't want to run a privat server anymore.
    It will be better to rent a root-server.
    So thank you for your help therefor.