Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Configure External Mail

Exclamation Configure External Mail

Hello,

I have successfully installed ZCS on Ubuntu and I can send and receive emails from and to internal accounts.

Now I want to know that what configuration do I need to setup to send and receive emails from external email accounts like gmail, hotmail, yahoo or ISP email addresses?

Also I would like to know that how can I limit the quota for the accounts?

Please help me as I am new to Zimbra but I loved it once I got is running.

Thanks

RizKhan

1. If you want to send and receive emails from external mail servers you must configure correctly DNS and choose "Enable DNS lookup" in admin console : Global Settings --> MTA --> Enable DNS lookup.
    2. If you want to limit the quota for the account, in the admin console, when you create a new account, you can specify the quota for the user or if you want apply that quota for multi users in your system please let using COS setting.

Hi dalmate,

Thanks for your reply dear. I found quota and Enable DNS lookup options but I am unable to understand that what settings do I require in my dns? Do I have to add every website one by one in my dns?

Also I have an email account provided by local ISP. I want to configure that email in zimbra for receiving the emails and when there is a new email in that account, it populates that email to all accounts configured in Zimbra.

Thanks
    RizKhan

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RizKhan View Post
    Thanks for your reply dear. I found quota and Enable DNS lookup options but I am unable to understand that what settings do I require in my dns? Do I have to add every website one by one in my dns?
    Zimbra will do a DNS lookup for mail delivery, you don't have to put anything in 'your DNS'.

Also I have an email account provided by local ISP. I want to configure that email in zimbra for receiving the emails and when there is a new email in that account, it populates that email to all accounts configured in Zimbra.
    Your best course of action would be to have incoming email delivered directly to your Zimbra server. If you want to load email from a single external mailbox then you should use Fetchmail, search the forums for details or read the Fetchmail documentation: +fetchmail - Yahoo! Search Results. Do note that Fetchmail is not part of ZImbra and it should be available in your linuc distribution it's also your responsibility to set it up and get it running correctly. You should also note that unless your ISP provides you with a multi-drop mailbox you may have problems getting the email from them, read the details about multi-drop and it's problems in the Fetchmail documentation.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thank you Bill,

I can understand that Zimbra will do a DNS lookup for mail delivery but I guess I am unable to tell my problem.
    I have a dns entry in my Zimbra's /etc/bind/db.mydomain.com
    mail IN MX 10 smpt.mydomain.com

And configured that SMTP server in Zimbra MTA relay, but still I am unable to send any message to any external account.

And how can I configure external mail delivered directly to Zimbra?

Thanks
    RizKhan

Thank you Bill,

I can understand that Zimbra will do a DNS lookup for mail delivery but I guess I am unable to tell my problem.
    I have a dns entry in my Zimbra's /etc/bind/db.mydomain.com
    mail IN MX 10 smpt.mydomain.com

And configured that SMTP server in Zimbra MTA relay, but still I am unable to send any message to any external account.
    You need to look in the log files and see what errors there are.

And how can I configure external mail delivered directly to Zimbra?
    You need DNS A & MX records for your domain and they should point directly to your Public IP where your server is located.
    Regards

Bill

Here is the Error message returned to me when I try to send message to any external address
    Action: failed
    Remote-MTA: dns; mail.mydomain.com
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 : Relay access denied

I believe that relay access is denied because of authentication but I am not getting an option where I can configure the account for Remote MTA in Zimbra.

Thanks
    RizKhan

Go to the wiki and search for the word 'authentication', you should also search the forums as in all likelihood your questions have already been asked and answered.
    Regards

Bill

Hello Bill,

Thanks for your help and I am glad that I have configured my server.

Now everything is working fine and smoothly. I can send and receive messages internally and can also send to external accounts.

The only problem I have now that I have a real domain e.g. mail.domain.com and it has some users. I want those users to be mapped with internal zimbra users so that when someone sends and email to any of the accounts on real domain, the specific account on Zimbra should receive it in inbox.

Can you please guide me a little on it. I have searched google but was not able to find some proper guide.

Thanks
    RizKhan

The only problem I have now that I have a real domain e.g. mail.domain.com and it has some users. I want those users to be mapped with internal zimbra users so that when someone sends and email to any of the accounts on real domain, the specific account on Zimbra should receive it in inbox.
    If you have a firewall in front of Zimbra you need to block port 25 so that you receive no external mail and you should backup the /opt/zimbra directory structure (as a precaution and also make sure no users are on the server) and you then need to rename the mail.domain.com to domain.com - go to the wiki (link at the top of this page) and search for the word 'renamedomain' (no spaces) and follow the instructions for the command. When you've done that you can open port 25 again and let users back on the server.
    Regards

Bill