Thread: How to make Zimbra use HTTP Proxy on outgoing requests?

Default How to make Zimbra use HTTP Proxy on outgoing requests?

Hello there.

I installed Zimbra 4.0 OSS the other day and have it up and running now after a few caveats. I'll get back to those at the end of this post.

Basically, I have defined proxy variables http_proxy, https_proxy and ftp_proxy and they work fine in w3m etc, but Zimbra is not using them and I see nowhere to put proxy information in the administrativ interface..?

The machine have only one NIC and is in the DMZ. I've tried using iptables to redirect HTTP traffic to my proxy, but that haven't really worked either. It apparently needs NAT and I'm not sure what will happen then. The proxy is on the same net as the server so NAT'ing doesn't make much sense I think.

Is there some way I can get all HTTP/HTTPS and preferably webcal traffic sent to my proxy at 192.168.10.1:3128?

All is well if I set the proxy to transparent mode, but I can only do that for minutes at a time as the desired policy is Normal mode.

It's mostly a problem with external calendars at this point, but more things may surface...

Now, the caveats.
    * I chose SLES10 for the installation. It's slightly newer than SUSE Linux 10.0. It works well enough, but to be safe I set the platform script to just say SUSE10.
    Contents of SuSE-release on SLES10:
    SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 (i586)
    VERSION = 10

* I originally had two MX records set up for the domain I created, but the installer script couldn't handle the second one. With only one MX record it worked fine.

* The admin password didn't seem to take so I followed the advice in another post to create another admin account and use that. That worked. The admin account have had it's password set again and is functioning correctly now.

That's the things I remember... BTW: How do you tell Zimbra that, say, mail to martinm-76.dk is the same as mail to mail.martinm-76.dk? I created the 'domain' mail.martinm-76.dk as I already have martinm-76.dk assigned to my webserver. I would just like to know if I can at some point change the domain MX to point at mail.martinm-76.dk and not have the mail rejected because it says @martinm-76.dk...

Other than that, Zimbra is great and I'm still learing my way around. I love the convertation views and the fast search through everything, not just headers...

proxy configuration is an open enhancement request, not committed to a release yet.

Search for alias domains in the forums, the wiki, or, perish the thought, the documentation, for your other question
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Smile

Thank you. Found it in the wiki. I did read most of the administation guide and the full installation guide, but I probably stared myself blind because I was certain this would be handled in the GUI. Shame on me...

I have one more note though that may be of use to someone. SUSE Enterprise Linux 10 (and SUSE 10.1) uses syslog-ng as default and have a fair amount of dependencies on it.

Use the following to get the things logged to zimbra.log like with syslog:

/etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf.in:
    filter f_zimbra { facility(local0,mail); };
    # Zimbra
    destination zimbra { file("/var/log/zimbra.log"); };
    log { source(src); filter(f_zimbra); destination(zimbra); };

Then run 'SuSEconfig --module syslog-ng'.

I'll do my research from now on