Thread: [SOLVED] POP3 "wrong host" error

Hybrid View

Unhappy [SOLVED] POP3 "wrong host" error

Hi all,

I have recently overhauled my Zimbra setup, but after doing so run into a rather large and annoying problem. Here are the details about my new setup; a description and specific error message pertaining to my problem follows.

- I am running ZCS 6.0.8 GA (see my profile info for additional details about the version).
    - I have two servers that I want to use with Zimbra, one that I am hosting myself which runs RHEL 6, and another (my friend's machine) hosted by Linode and running Debian 5. Both are 32-bit.
    - I have the Red Hat server, hostname ms1c.mydomain.com, set up as the main Zimbra server. All components are installed except SNMP, logger, and the MTA.
    - The second server, es2d.zcs.mydomain.com, is running the MTA and logger components. I want to use it as the mail transfer part of the Zimbra multi-server setup.

So basically I've installed Zimbra onto both machines without encountering any problems. I have LDAP set up on both servers, with the RHEL 6 server being the master LDAP and the Debian 5 server being the only replica. I also installed the zimbra-proxy and zimbra-memcached packages because I heard they were required if running a multi-server environment.

Everything is working fine except for the fact that I can't get any mail clients to connect via POP3 to Zimbra and download e-mail. I always get a prompt to enter my account password, but I have verified that the password and username are correct.

Here is the output from a POP3 server test I ran this morning. The error message I'm getting is at the end. Note that "mail.mydomain.com" is the only MX record I have configured for my domain, and it points to the IP address of the Debian 5 server.

Code:
    Resolving hostname...
    Connecting...
    S:+OK mail.mydomain.com Zimbra POP3 server ready
    C: CAPA
    S:+OK Capability list follows
    S:TOP
    S:USER
    S:UIDL
    S:STLS
    S:SASL PLAIN X-ZIMBRA
    S:EXPIRE 31 USER
    S:XOIP
    S:IMPLEMENTATION ZimbraInc
    S:.
    C: USER admin@mydomain.com
    S:+OK hello admin@mydomain.com, please enter your password
    C: PASS ********
    S:-ERR operation sent to wrong host (you want 'ms1c.mydomain.com')
    ERROR: Login failed -ERR operation sent to wrong host (you want 'ms1c.mydomain.com')
    POP3 test failed.
    Is there any way that I can get this error fixed so I can successfully connect to Zimbra POP3? I haven't done anything to the IMAP and POP3 proxy component after installing it, but am not sure if this is what is causing the problem or not. I'm not sure exactly how to configure it though, and read on the Zimbra documentation that it needed no configuration once installed.

I would really appreciate any assistance provided by the Zimbra community.

Thanks in advance!

in your pop3 settings do you have ms1c.mydomain.com set as your incoming mail server? or do you have the es2d server?

Unhappy

Hi bdial,

I'm using Microsoft Outlook 2007 as my e-mail client, and in the account settings I have "mail.mydomain.com" as both the incoming and outgoing server. There's only one MX record for mydomain.com, and it points to mail.mydomain.com, which is an A record to the IP address of the es2d.zcs.mydomain.com server.

Also, in the Zimbra admin area, under the es2d.zcs.mydomain.com server section, in the POP tab, I have the "Address" field set to mail.mydomain.com. I wasn't too sure what the significance of this field was so I wasn't too sure what to set it to.

Hope this answered your question.

Thanks!
    Last edited by lmerrill; 10-18-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Replaced real domain name with "mydomain.com" alias

pop3 doesn't support redirect. you have to set the incoming mail server as whatever server the user's mailbox is on. so you would have to set the incoming mail server in outlook 2007 as ms1c.mydomain.com

zimbra-proxy would be required to do what you're doing. Thats would run on es2d.zcs.mydomain.com and proxy all pop3 requests to the mailbox server.

Hi again bdial,

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that POP3 doesn't support redirect. However, I do have zimbra-proxy (and zimbra-memcached) installed on the es2d.zcs.mydomain.com server. I installed it a few hours after I set up that server because I didn't find out about its use until then. I'm assuming it was automatically configured because I can't find any way to configure it in the admin area.

My question is, is there a way to configure it to do what you said in your message, e.g. to make it so that I could put "mail.mydomain.com" or even "pop.mydomain.com" into my mail client and have Zimbra automatically redirect the request to the appropriate server? If so, how would I accomplish this?

I apologize for all these questions - I've only been using Zimbra since May of this year so I'm still relatively new to it. But so far I'm liking it a lot!

Thanks!

you will need to set your m1cs server as a reverse proxy target in order for it to start working. you should read teh administrators docs to fully understand what you're doing here. you can find it in the admin interface under Servers. Select the server ms1c and under the first page should be the check box to specify that the server is a reverse proxy target

zimbra proxy is normally used in a multiserver installation where you may have accounts spread across several mailbox servers, like say

zimbra1.mydomain.com
    zimbra2.mydomain.com
    zimbra3.mydomain.com

using webmail you can login to any of these servers, as they will redirect you to the right one. i.e. you could login to zimbra1.mydomain.comand if your account is on zimbra3 you'll see it redirect your session to zimbra3.mydomain.com.

pop3 does not support this kind of redirection, so you would have to enter the correct host for your mailbox in order to use pop3.

zimbra-proxy allows you to install a 4th host (or technically you could use one of the hosts) that acts as the proxy for all teh mailbox servers. So you could have a host just called zimbra.mydomain.com and it can be used by webmail/pop/imap clients and it will proxy the request to the right server transparently.

Question

This whole concept of proxying is a bit new to me, so I hope you don't mind if I ask another question and make sure I read you correctly.

You're saying that I could potentially set up a third Zimbra server (besides the ms1c and es2d servers I have now) and call that "pop.mydomain.com" for example, then mail clients would be able to use "pop.mydomain.com" to connect to the POP3 service via the proxy, right? To do this, what packages (e.g. zimbra-proxy, zimbra-store, etc.) would I need to install? Or, if I didn't want to set up a third machine or didn't have one to set up, could I rename one of the two existing Zimbra servers so that its hostname is "pop.bladescape.com" or whatever?

I guess what I'm saying is I still don't really understand the whole concept of creating an additional host for POP3/IMAP connections. Ultimately what I want to do is simply have an A record, mail.mydomain.com, be the server that mail clients connect to for POP, IMAP, and SMTP connections, that may then get proxied to the right Zimbra server. Is there a way to set something like this up?

Thank you!

you can do it how you have it setup now, i was only giving you the other examples in an attempt to explain how zimbra-proxy works and how it's commonly used.

all you really need on the es2d server is zimbra-mta and zimbra-proxy. then make the ms1c a reverse proxy target. if es2d is already responding to pop3 requests then it sounds like you have zimbra-mailbox installed on that as well which is not hurting anything but doesn't need to be running since all of your actual accounts will reside on the ms1c server right?

Smile

I have somewhat solved my issue by simply switching back to a single-server environment. After attempting multiple configurations on different machines, and trying out all of the advice and assistance given by posters to this thread, I have still ran into POP and IMAP issues and have therefore, in the interest of time, just switched back to running Zimbra on a single server. POP and IMAP are both working now as they should.
    Perhaps I will try for a multi-server environment in the future when I understand more about how the Zimbra proxy service works and how Zimbra works in a multi-server environment.

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this post; I really appreciate all of the help from the Zimbra community and all of the quick responses too. It's one of the things that makes Zimbra the best e-mail and collaboration solultion around!