Thread: Cannot get DNS resolution to work on install

Default Cannot get DNS resolution to work on install

OK, here we are again! Last time I tried installing ZCS was in 2006 - gave up!

After a whole day of trying to get this working I am at the point of giving up again. I must be missing something really simple or I am really dumb!

Requirement

Lan based email server to replace ageing mdeamon server.
    Needs to provide local mail service for a number of local users, probably mainly via the ajax client. Each client will be configured to have multiple external accounts fetching mail into one Zimbra mailbox. (Unless this can be configured at the server side to fetch all mail and then distribute to the correct local mailbox.
    Provide remote access to mail etc. via web (this would be using port forwarding from the router)
    ZCS needs to send all outgoing mail via our external mail server (smart host???) on the internet using smtp authentication and using the external mail address related to the address received . i.e. fred.smith@external.mail fetched into localaccount@local.mail any replies sent from local account to external mail should appear to come from fred.smith@eternal.mail etc.

I have a dns server (BIND 9 on CENTOS 5.5) on the lan that has both A and MX records for the ZCS server e.g. zimbra.local.mail in the local.mail dns zone I can ping the hostname or the FQDN from anywhere on the network and they resolve to the correct ip address including from the zcs server itsself. However when I run the installer it fails to pick up the A and MX records for the ZCS server. I AM VERY CONFUSED BY THIS BEHAVIOUR!

Really stuck at present and help appreciated. Install is on Centos 5.5 (RHEL 5)

Cheers
    Spart

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Let's start by confirming that your DNS a host file are correct, go to the Split DNS article and post all the output asked for in the 'Verify...' section of that article.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Bill,

Many thanks for this. I had not installed a full bind on the zimbra server, believeing that I could simply forward all dns queries to our DNS server (CENTOS 5.5 Bind) on the lan that has already the correct MX and A records for the zimbra server.

Still a little confused about this, but it did pass the install test. I now have 2 DNS servers running. Our local domain DNS server that serves the whole internal network and resolves both internal short (hostname) and long (hostname.local.domain) names. And a new DNS server running on the zimbra machine that serves its own domain (zimbra.local.domain) and forwards to the other DNS servers. I can ping external addresses from the zimbra server e.g. bbc.co.uk and can ping longnames for the local network, but noot short names. I assume that this is because the zimbra DNS is using its own domain (zimbra.local.domain) and not (local.domain). Not the end of the world at present. I know I could enter any key hosts into the hosts file and it would resolve them without DNS lookup.

The ZCS installed perfectly this time. Changed timezone to UK and set admin passoword. Updated authkeys. checked all running and everything running fine.

Logged in as admin. And tried to send first email to my external email account. Zimbra shows message as sent but it was not received. Does not show up in the queues. No idea where it went!

On the Server Admin Page unde the MTA tab is : Relay MTA for external delivery: Is this where I set the external mail server that I need to send all mail via? I have currently left all defaults.

Any idea how I check where the mail that I sent went? As far as zimbra is concerned it sent it!

Thanks for the help so far, any further help appreciated.

Cheers
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by sparticle View Post
    Many thanks for this. I had not installed a full bind on the zimbra server, believeing that I could simply forward all dns queries to our DNS server (CENTOS 5.5 Bind) on the lan that has already the correct MX and A records for the zimbra server.
    You can do that, it's not necessary to have a DNS server installed on Zimbra and the article is just one example of what you can do. The fact that Zimbra is now installed would indicate that your DNS server was not resolving the Zimbra server IP correctly. I really only wanted you to check your DNS servers by running the command from the section of the article I mentioned.

You can check your original DNS server by doing the following on the Zimbra server:

Code:
    dig @old_dns_ip yourdomain.com mx
    dig @old_dns_ip yourdomain.com any
    Where 'old_dns_ip' is the IP of your original DNS server, you can then run the commands again without the '@old_dns_ip' and see if the output matches the ones you've just done.

Still a little confused about this, but it did pass the install test. I now have 2 DNS servers running. Our local domain DNS server that serves the whole internal network and resolves both internal short (hostname) and long (hostname.local.domain) names. And a new DNS server running on the zimbra machine that serves its own domain (zimbra.local.domain) and forwards to the other DNS servers. I can ping external addresses from the zimbra server e.g. bbc.co.uk and can ping longnames for the local network, but noot short names. I assume that this is because the zimbra DNS is using its own domain (zimbra.local.domain) and not (local.domain). Not the end of the world at present. I know I could enter any key hosts into the hosts file and it would resolve them without DNS lookup.
    That would be because you don't have the domain specified in the resolve.conf, it should be 'search yourdomain.com'. BTW, I'm not a fan of using a fake domain name behind the NAT router and there's really no reason you should not be able to use your real domain name - it saves user confusion.

Logged in as admin. And tried to send first email to my external email account. Zimbra shows message as sent but it was not received. Does not show up in the queues. No idea where it went!

On the Server Admin Page unde the MTA tab is : Relay MTA for external delivery: Is this where I set the external mail server that I need to send all mail via? I have currently left all defaults.

Any idea how I check where the mail that I sent went? As far as zimbra is concerned it sent it!
    You can have a look in the log files to see what's going an and out of your server. Tail the log file at the same time you send a message and you'll see what's happening:

Code:
    tail -f /var/log/zimbra.log
    Regards

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the advice, further info below.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You can check your original DNS server by doing the following on the Zimbra server:

Code:
    dig @old_dns_ip yourdomain.com mx
    dig @old_dns_ip yourdomain.com any
    Where 'old_dns_ip' is the IP of your original DNS server, you can then run the commands again without the '@old_dns_ip' and see if the output matches the ones you've just done.
    All is well and the DNS resolve fine.

BTW, I'm not a fan of using a fake domain name behind the NAT router and there's really no reason you should not be able to use your real domain name - it saves user confusion.
    Now I am confused! If I setup my real domain internally e.g my.domain and have the zimbra server host as zimbra.my.domain are you saying that internally the zimbra mail system would look like the external my.domain mail system does today in that I can send mail internally to user@my.domain and any external mail would go out directly from the zimbra server to wherever. Any mail sent from the internet for user@my.domain would be received on the external my.domain server and would be collected by the users when logging in to zimbra if I setup the external accounts for them. Essentially my internal machine would be masquarading as the external machine, if I did not setup a local DNS record for the external mail server hostname then the DNS will have to look it up and it should resolve to the correct external ip right...

I use the local fake domain setup because it gives me an easy way of locally archiving all of our email. All email is received currently on my mdeamon server from all our external accounts and distributed to the correct local mailbox using a feature called multipop and alias mapping. Any outgoing mail is sent via the local mdaemon server and out through our main external domain smtp server which is acting as a smart host using usernameassword authentication.

I am trying to replace the mdaemon server (get rid of windows) and replicate this setup using zimbra.

You can have a look in the log files to see what's going an and out of your server. Tail the log file at the same time you send a message and you'll see what's happening:

Code:
    tail -f /var/log/zimbra.log
    Looked at this it seemed to suggest message was sent ok. End of file below:

Oct 30 16:04:14 zimbra zmmailboxdmgr[12045]: status OK
    Oct 30 16:05:21 zimbra postfix/smtpd[12192]: connect from zimbra.local.home[192.168.0.2]
    Oct 30 16:05:22 zimbra postfix/smtpd[12192]: 0CBDE36D9C2: client=zimbra.local.home[192.168.0.2]
    Oct 30 16:05:22 zimbra postfix/cleanup[12195]: 0CBDE36D9C2: message-id=<11919238.4.1288451121396.JavaMail.root@zimbra.loca l.home>
    Oct 30 16:05:22 zimbra postfix/qmgr[28154]: 0CBDE36D9C2: from=, size=636, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Oct 30 16:05:22 zimbra amavis[20125]: (20125-04) ESMTP::10024 /opt/zimbra/data/amavisd/tmp/amavis-20101030T151002-20125: -> SIZE=636 Received: from zimbra.local.home ([127.0.0.1]) by localhost (zimbra.local.home [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP for ; Sat, 30 Oct 2010 16:05:22 +0100 (BST)
    Oct 30 16:05:22 zimbra postfix/smtpd[12192]: disconnect from zimbra.local.home[192.168.0.2]
    Oct 30 16:05:22 zimbra amavis[20125]: (20125-04) Checking: N0pFeNQFTb7t MYNETS [192.168.0.2] ->
    Oct 30 16:05:23 zimbra amavis[20125]: (20125-04) (!!)collect_results from [12199] (/opt/zimbra/altermime/bin/altermime): DIED, signal 11 (000b) mime_alter.c:1350:ERROR - Cannot stat '/opt/zimbra/data/altermime/global-default.txt' (No such file or directory)\nmime_alter.c:1350:ERROR - Cannot stat '/opt/zimbra/data/altermime/global-default.html' (No such file or directory)\nAttempting to add disclaimer\n
    Oct 30 16:05:23 zimbra amavis[20125]: (20125-04) (!)mangling by altermime failed: Program /opt/zimbra/altermime/bin/altermime failed: 11, mime_alter.c:1350:ERROR - Cannot stat '/opt/zimbra/data/altermime/global-default.txt' (No such file or directory)\nmime_alter.c:1350:ERROR - Cannot stat '/opt/zimbra/data/altermime/global-default.html' (No such file or directory)\nAttempting to add disclaimer, mail will pass unmodified
    Oct 30 16:05:23 zimbra postfix/smtpd[12200]: connect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
    Oct 30 16:05:23 zimbra postfix/smtpd[12200]: 4028B36D9C3: client=localhost[127.0.0.1]
    Oct 30 16:05:23 zimbra postfix/cleanup[12195]: 4028B36D9C3: message-id=<11919238.4.1288451121396.JavaMail.root@zimbra.loca l.home>
    Oct 30 16:05:23 zimbra postfix/qmgr[28154]: 4028B36D9C3: from=, size=1195, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Oct 30 16:05:23 zimbra postfix/smtpd[12200]: disconnect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
    Oct 30 16:05:23 zimbra amavis[20125]: (20125-04) FWD via SMTP: -> ,BODY=7BIT 250 2.0.0 Ok, id=20125-04, from MTA([127.0.0.1]:10025): 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 4028B36D9C3
    Oct 30 16:05:23 zimbra amavis[20125]: (20125-04) Passed CLEAN, MYNETS LOCAL [192.168.0.2] [192.168.0.2] -> , Message-ID: <11919238.4.1288451121396.JavaMail.root@zimbra.loca l.home>, mail_id: N0pFeNQFTb7t, Hits: -2.91, size: 636, queued_as: 4028B36D9C3, 1119 ms
    Oct 30 16:05:23 zimbra postfix/smtp[12196]: 0CBDE36D9C2: to=, relay=127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1]:10024, delay=1.4, delays=0.2/0.11/0.02/1.1, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok, id=20125-04, from MTA([127.0.0.1]:10025): 250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 4028B36D9C3)
    Oct 30 16:05:23 zimbra postfix/qmgr[28154]: 0CBDE36D9C2: removed
    Oct 30 16:05:25 zimbra postfix/smtp[12201]: 4028B36D9C3: to=, relay=external.mail.server[XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX]:25, delay=2, delays=0.07/0.18/1.1/0.7, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 2E27C247DD5E)
    Oct 30 16:05:25 zimbra postfix/qmgr[28154]: 4028B36D9C3: removed
    Oct 30 16:06:12 zimbra zmmailboxdmgr[12482]: status requested
    Oct 30 16:06:12 zimbra zmmailboxdmgr[12482]: status OK

I also did the following for the authentication for the external mails erver substituting my external mail server details and username and password information.

Suppose your ISP relay host is "mailrelay.example.com" and the user
    name and password to use there is "user" and "password" respectively.

Enable SMTP authentication on outbound messages:

Code:

$ postconf -e smtp_sasl_auth_enable=yes

Create a file text file mapping which name/password should be used for
    which given outbound destination. This file can contain multiple
    lines.

Code:

$ echo mailrelay.example.com userassword > /opt/zimbra/conf/relay_password

Create a postfix lookup table from this text file:

Code:

$ postmap /opt/zimbra/conf/relay_password

Test that the map is okay and that the user: password pair is returned.

Code:

$ postmap -q mailrelay.example.com /opt/zimbra/conf/relay_password
    userassword

Make postfix use this:

Code:

$ postconf -e smtp_sasl_password_maps=hash:/opt/zimbra/conf/relay_password
    $ postfix reload
    So at this point I should be able to send external email either directly if I do not use a mial realy server or via the mail relay set in the server MTA tab and configred as above. BUT, no email appears to be received at external email addresses.

Getting to the point of giving up again, Can't be this hard. It took less than half a day to setup mdaemon and it's been running for over 5 years but really creaking now.

Any further help appreciated.

Cheers
    Stephen

I must apologise, I totally forgot you were relaying the mail out through another server. The section of the log you've posted looks OK, with a 'but':

Code:
    Oct 30 16:05:23 zimbra postfix/qmgr[28154]: 0CBDE36D9C2: removed
    Oct 30 16:05:25 zimbra postfix/smtp[12201]: 4028B36D9C3: to=, relay=external.mail.server[XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX]:25, delay=2, delays=0.07/0.18/1.1/0.7, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 Ok: queued as 2E27C247DD5E)
    Oct 30 16:05:25 zimbra postfix/qmgr[28154]: 4028B36D9C3: removed
    Oct 30 16:06:12 zimbra zmmailboxdmgr[12482]: status requested
    Oct 30 16:06:12 zimbra zmmailboxdmgr[12482]: status OK
    In that section of the log there is no recipient in the 'to=' (I assume the IP you've blanked out is your mDaemon server?). You should see the recipient email address in that line or have you removed it, what does the Mdaemon server log show?

As to your questions about relaying, you should look at the Split Domain article in the wiki as it's probably more appropriate to your migration environment.

I also notice in that log snippet that your trying to add a Domain Disclaimer. Did you try installing this altermime version? If you did then it isn't compatible with Zimbra 6.x, have a look at this bug report: Bug 37698 – Domain Disclaimer Extension non-portable
    Regards

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I must apologise, I totally forgot you were relaying the mail out through another server. The section of the log you've posted looks OK, with a 'but':

In that section of the log there is no recipient in the 'to=' (I assume the IP you've blanked out is your mDaemon server?). You should see the recipient email address in that line or have you removed it, what does the Mdaemon server log show?
    The to address is in the log and correct. The blanked address is the name and address of the Internet based mail relay server that Mdaemon sends out via today not our lan based Mdaemon server.

As to your questions about relaying, you should look at the Split Domain article in the wiki as it's probably more appropriate to your migration environment.
    I have read thorugh these and thought I had this setup correctlyl

I also notice in that log snippet that your trying to add a Domain Disclaimer. Did you try installing this altermime version? If you did then it isn't compatible with Zimbra 6.x, have a look at this bug report: Bug 37698 – Domain Disclaimer Extension non-portable
    No idea what this is as it is whatever zimbra defaults to that I have installed.

Currently this zimbra install will send mail to and between internal zimbra.local.home users but not external recipients regardless of what the log says about the mail being sent. I have no idea what to do next.

Thanks
    Stephen

Default Eureka!!!

OK got it to authenticate with my external mail server and send external mail! This article:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...ion-issue.html

and this one:

Outgoing SMTP Authentication - Zimbra :: Wiki

And this one:

Sending mail through an external relay - Zimbra :: Wiki

Finally got me there.

The only issue I have now is I need Zimbra to masquerade all external sent mail. Currently because of fake internal domain as the from address e.g. zimbra.local.home mail sent is being flagged as SPAM and deleted. So I need any mail sent out to appear to come from user@my.domain and not user@zimbra.local.home as user@my.domain is our real external domain so will pass spam tests etc.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you for your help so far.

Cheers
    Stephen