Thread: I want domainname.com not mail.domainname.com

Default I want domainname.com not mail.domainname.com

Hey all,
    I have a brand new shiney install of Zimbra 4.0 on Debian Sarge (thanks for the debian support!). The only problem I had is that there seems to be a missing dependency check for libexpat1. Anyway, when I install the system, it uses the hostname of the system I'm installing on, but I want accounts (and thus mail) to be set up directly under the root domainname, so the addresses are user@domainname.com, not user@hostname.domainname.com. How do I do this?

BTW, this host is running under Xen, which is possible after installing libc6-xen from testing to enable NPTL.

Thanks!

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You can change the domain name when you do a clean install, it gives you the option to do that. If you don't have anything important on Zimbra then it's easier to do an uninstall/reinstall and change the domain there.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Not very familar with Zimbra but if memory serves me, Postfix is able to do this. I do not know what effect messing with Postfix directly will have on Zimbra. I may misunderstand how Postfix is integrated into Zimbra.

Found this:
    http://www.postfix.org/rewrite.html#masquerade
    "Address masquerading is a method to hide all hosts inside a domain behind their mail gateway, and to make it appear as if the mail comes from the gateway itself, instead of from individual machines.

Address masquerading is disabled by default. To enable, edit the masquerade_domains parameter in the main.cf file and specify one or more domain names separated by whitespace or commas. The list is processed left to right, and processing stops at the first match. Thus,

masquerade_domains = foo.example.com example.com
    strips any.thing.foo.example.com to foo.example.com, but strips any.thing.else.example.com to example.com.
    A domain name prefixed with ! means do not masquerade this domain or its subdomains. Thus,

masquerade_domains = !foo.example.com example.com
    does not change any.thing.foo.example.com and foo.example.com, but strips any.thing.else.example.com to example.com.
    The masquerade_exceptions configuration parameter specifies what user names should not be subjected to address masquerading. Specify one or more user names separated by whitespace or commas. For example,

masquerade_exceptions = root
    By default, Postfix makes no exceptions.

Subtle point: by default, address masquerading is applied only to message headers and to envelope sender addresses, but not to envelope recipients. This allows you to use address masquerading on a mail gateway machine, while still being able to forward mail from outside to users on individual machines.

In order to subject envelope recipient addresses to masquerading, too, specify (only available with Postfix versions after 20010802):

masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, envelope_recipient, header_sender, header_recipient
    If you do this, Postfix will no longer be able to send mail to individual machines."

It can be done easier than that, the wiki has the details. The problem with making any changes to the postfix config files is they get overwrittem on upgrades.

I would still recommend that the install is doen again with the correct domain name.
    Last edited by phoenix; 09-13-2006 at 01:28 PM. Reason: incorrect url
    Regards

Bill

Default Off Topic

Can you explain or expand the difference of the Forum and the Wiki? They seem to duplicate each other on some level.

The difference, as I've mentioned, is that the changes to the postfix file will get overwritten when an upgrade is performed and the entries described by the wiki don't - that's important. Anything entered in LDAP will be kept during an upgrade, there's nothing more to it than that. My recommendation is based on the 'start with the correct domain name' and if new domains are added and masquerading would solve the problem then use the wiki description. Your approach isn't wrong but it does leave the user open to losing the config during an upgrade.
    Regards

Bill

Default Got it

Alright, after some playing around I found what appears to be the correct configuration. I did not want to change the hostname, but just the domain that is created for mail. During installation, modify entry 5) zimbra-ldap, then change option 3) Domain to create: to the domain you want for this installation.

Thanks for the help.

Jason Martens