Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZCS 6.0.10 Installation Error on Mint 10

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The most tested distribution for Zimbra is Red Hat Enterprise Linux, if you want a reliable mail server then use CentOS5 (it's a binary compatible rebuild of RHEL, it's also free). For the desktop machines I'd recommend openSUS 11.3. I'm sure you'll get other suggestions for moth of those solutions.

You've mentioned Exchange, where does that fit in this scenario and what exactly is the set-up with Zimbra going to be? One other point, if you are getting a new server for Zimbra then you should make sure it's a 64bit system.

You will also need a suitable server (with sufficient RAM and RAID subsystem) for you new MTA, you should give some details of how many users will be on this server and whether they'll be connecting vai the Web UI or via fat clients etc., etc.
    The project is to attempt to slowly replace the ~175 desktops for our users with a Linux system so we can migrate from a mainly windows based network to be at least 75% Linux. Until we can prove that it can be done with our current system, we need to keep use our Exchange 03 server for our testing and proposal to the CIO. If we can get it approved we're going to take it one step further and set up a new mail server (linux based) for easier compatibility. The replacement desktops need to be pretty user/dummy friendly due to the lack of computer competence we have here by our end users.

Thats the scope of the project. I probably should of declared everything for the environment first. Thanks for sticking with me for replies to this guys, I feel like I've been a burden for information for not declaring the entire scenario in the first place.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

I'd strongly suggest you look at openSUSE for the desktop, it doesn't get much easier than that - I'd also suggest that you install KDE as the desktop environment. If you currently have a spare server then look at CentOS, many of us on the forums use that for Zimbra as it's rock solid and a perfect platform for Zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I'd strongly suggest you look at openSUSE for the desktop, it doesn't get much easier than that - I'd also suggest that you install KDE as the desktop environment. If you currently have a spare server then look at CentOS, many of us on the forums use that for Zimbra as it's rock solid and a perfect platform for Zimbra.
    Thanks for the suggestion Bill. I'll put the suggestion into Austin our Linux admin for the mail server type.

I greatly appreciate you all putting up with my posts here, if I need anything else for zimbra, I'll let you know!