Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: License expiration in Network Edition

Default License expiration in Network Edition

Hello,

does the Network Professional Edition ($35/user/year) fail to operate after one year, or is it still possible to work with it, but without beeing able to take advantage of the new features?

Thank's for any clarification,

John

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

AFAIK it runs but obviously no support and no updates will be available.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

i noticed version 4 physically demanded license to install and the license has an expiry in it. i wouldn't be surprised if the software stops functioning in some way after that date, but this is pure conjecture.

Yes, licensing has been enforced in version 4. The expiration of support just stops you accessing the support portal for downloading updates (and the new license) and doesn't stop Zimbra running.
    Regards

Bill

TO be clear on the licensing effects:

If your license is expired, or you've got too many users, you won't be able to create any more accounts. Existing accounts will still function at the level of the open source software, plus backup and indexing.

This means that mobile sync and the outlook connector will no longer function.

If you choose not to relicense, simply "upgrade" to the OSS version, and you'll be able to create more users.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

ah this is NOT what your sales team told me last week when I purchased the Network edition..

If you chose not to renew, you could still use the product, you just wouldn't receive any upgrades or support.
    So for my mind if I choose not to renew, and I was only using say 170 of my 200 users I would fully expect to still be able to add new users up to my 200 user limit.

though for the price I doubt I wouldn't renew, however what your saying does not gell with me.

The previous comment by Marc is correct: "If you choose not to relicense, simply "upgrade" to the OSS version, and you'll be able to create more users."

That means that when your license expires, whatever number of users your license is for, you will not be able to create any more users unless you install the OSS version.

Effectively the comment from Zimbra sales is correct, the product does continue to function but what they didn't say is that some of the features stop working. - it really depends on what specific question you asked them.
    Regards

Bill

sorry but you can't split hairs like that and Australian law wouldn't allow it.

The question was asked clearly and very deliberately ie if I choose not to renew after 12 months can I continue to use the product as is.

that implies continue to add/remove users upto the level I paid for in this case 200, and continue to use zimbra mobile.

The reply to that was yes you can however you won't get updates/upgrades or support. Zimbra sales by making that statement only listed 2 exclusions there fore that is ALL that can happen when the 12 months is up.

If Zimbra really want to argue that point I will be more then happy to point them in the direction of the Australian Trade Practices Act. It's not good business to start lying to people.

Sorry, but that isn't splitting hairs it's a statement of fact. I don't speak for Zimbra but I'm sure their legal department would be interested in your point of view. Leasing a product with features that expire after the license finishes isn't against any fair trade act in Australia or anywhere else.

As I wasn't in on your conversation with sales I only have you version of what was said. Not that I'm disputing it, just that I can't verify what you, or sales, said.

The simple fact of the matter is that your license fo the NE features only runs for period you pay for the licence, no more and no less - that was what you agreed to when you took the product. Zimbra does continue to run but not with all the features enabled. If you dispute that I'd suggest reading your licence again and taking it up with Zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

Default "lying" is unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by langs
    If Zimbra really want to argue that point I will be more then happy to point them in the direction of the Australian Trade Practices Act. It's not good business to start lying to people.
    As Robert J. Hanlon once wrote, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." Our sales guys almost certainly weren't lying to you, but I could believe that they got the license expiration effects wrong.

We can't change the effect of license expiration for you, as it's built into the software. If you'd like, you can call or email your sales person and explain what they got wrong.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!