Thread: Upgrading from Debian 6.0.7 GA to Ubuntu 6.0.10 GA on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Hybrid View

Default Upgrading from Debian 6.0.7 GA to Ubuntu 6.0.10 GA on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

We have installed the OSE zimbra from the package zcs-6.0.7_GA_2473.DEBIAN5_64.20100616222328 on an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS by using the --platform-override switch during installation.

The system runs stable so far, but we want to upgrade to the proper version, i.e. zimbra 6.0.10 for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit.

Is it possible and safe simply to upgrade the Debian 6.0.7 version to the Ubuntu 6.0.10 version?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dgsohard View Post
    We have installed the OSE zimbra from the package zcs-6.0.7_GA_2473.DEBIAN5_64.20100616222328 on an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS by using the --platform-override switch during installation.

The system runs stable so far, but we want to upgrade to the proper version, i.e. zimbra 6.0.10 for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64 bit.

Is it possible and safe simply to upgrade the Debian 6.0.7 version to the Ubuntu 6.0.10 version?
    No, it's not safe and you should have installed the correct version when you initially installed Zimbra and on a supported platform. You would be best advised to do a server migration to the new operating system, search the forums and wiki for details on what's necessary.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    No, it's not safe and you should have installed the correct version when you initially installed Zimbra and on a supported platform. You would be best advised to do a server migration to the new operating system, search the forums and wiki for details on what's necessary.
    The current installation of Zimbra could easily be migrated to a Debian 5 system, since it actually is the Debian version. Essentially, the problem boils down to migrate a 6.0.7 GA Zimbra system from Debian 5 to Ubuntu 10.04.

Unfortunately I couldn't find much useful information for a migration between different Linux distributions.

This one ZCS-to-ZCS Migrations » Zimbra :: Blog shows how to migrate single mailboxes, but I want to migrate all the data with no exception.

I am not sure about the approach taken here: Zimbra to Zimbra Server Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki
    It states that it doesn't work for shared folders, documents, and some other things, so I don't think it is an option.

The wiki entry Moving ZCS to New Server - Zimbra :: Wiki states that it is still experimental for moving between distributions.

So I understand there is no sane way to switch distributions at the moment?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

The current installation of Zimbra could easily be migrated to a Debian 5 system, since it actually is the Debian version.
    Yes but that wasn't your initial question, was it?

Essentially, the problem boils down to migrate a 6.0.7 GA Zimbra system from Debian 5 to Ubuntu 10.04.
    There are plenty of articles in the forums, wiki and blog about changing operating systems and/or architectures, here's one: Moving ZCS to Another Server » Zimbra :: Blog You could also wait for Zimbra 7 to be released and us the new migration wizard to move accounts to the new server.

You should also be aware that you need to dump the LDAP data and import it on the new server so these would be the instructions to follow (obviously don't do the NE stuff): Network Edition: Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit Server - Zimbra :: Wiki

If you want some further reading then have a look at thse threads: site:zimbra.com +32bit +64bit +solved - Yahoo! Search Results
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

So, instead of upgrading the installation directly (which was the inital question), I'll migrate the old system by moving it to a supported Debian 5 first and then on Ubuntu 10.04.

This would be the plan:
    - Move Zimbra 6.0.7 (Debian package) to a Debian 5 system.
    - Upgrade Zimbra on Debian 5 to Version 6.0.10
    - Install Zimbra 6.0.10 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    - Migrate Zimbra 6.0.10 intallation from Debian 5 to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Just for clarification, we already have a 64 bit Version of Zimbra and of course will stay on 64 bit. Now this article you mentioned looks very promising Moving ZCS to Another Server, but it says dumping the LDAP is only necessary "If changing arch (32 to 64)".

So, I don't need to do the LDAP stuff in this case?
    Or would it be better to include it nevertheless?