Thread: Q: Install on a CentOS Dedicated server...

Default Q: Install on a CentOS Dedicated server...

Hello

I have intentions of installing Zimbra 6 Community Edition on my Dedicated Server running on CentOS 5.
    The Server is well over the minimal sys-req specs for zimbra, although there will only be a handful of users anyways.

The server is already being used as a Webserver and hosts a few of our domains as well as two small custom PHP/Mysql Apps...
    Of course I don't want to ruin any of this... now the question is how to make the install go "right".

What I have is a separate domain, pointing to a separate IP Address - but the address sits on the same server (1 Server with 2 IPs)
    now the install script seems to want to install an Apache Instance of it's own? That sounds like a good start for a sweet conflict with my existing Apache install - or what?

Is there any guide on how to get a Zimbra System running - peacfully coexisting with the rest on the server?

Thanks!
    Dan

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dgentile View Post
    Hello

I have intentions of installing Zimbra 6 Community Edition on my Dedicated Server running on CentOS 5.
    The Server is well over the minimal sys-req specs for zimbra, although there will only be a handful of users anyways.

The server is already being used as a Webserver and hosts a few of our domains as well as two small custom PHP/Mysql Apps...
    Of course I don't want to ruin any of this... now the question is how to make the install go "right".

What I have is a separate domain, pointing to a separate IP Address - but the address sits on the same server (1 Server with 2 IPs)
    now the install script seems to want to install an Apache Instance of it's own? That sounds like a good start for a sweet conflict with my existing Apache install - or what?
    Then stop the unnecessary services (and disable them from starting on booy) on your server and install Zimbra, follow the Quick Start Installation Guide and set-up any necessary DNS A & MX records plus a correct and valid /etc/hosts file.

Is there any guide on how to get a Zimbra System running - peacfully coexisting with the rest on the server?
    Details all over the forums, in the product documentation and the wiki.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Bill,

thanks but that wasn't what I meant... I mean there's not really any "unnecessary" service on my server's setup...

Let me rephrase my question:
    I'd like zimbra NOT to install it's own Apache sutff, but rather make use of my already existing Apache install... the question is: How is this done?
    I've been searching for some time, but haven't found a specific answer to this one, if you (or anyone else) has a solid bit of info / link on this, I appreciate the help... thanks.

Dan

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Let me rephrase my question:
    I'd like zimbra NOT to install it's own Apache sutff, but rather make use of my already existing Apache install... the question is: How is this done?
    You can't use any other web server, Zimbra installs all it's own packages in the /opt/directory structure and they are install as a complete package.

I've been searching for some time, but haven't found a specific answer to this one, if you (or anyone else) has a solid bit of info / link on this, I appreciate the help... thanks.
    If your web server doesn't use port 443 then you can disable your Apache while you're installing Zimbra then change the mode of Zimbra to use https for web UI connections then restart your Apache. If you wish to do that then the command would be zmtlsctl - you can find details in the wiki if you search for that word (wiki link at the top of this page.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

So you're saying there's no way to install zimbra on a server and still keep the server acting as a "normal" webserver (both secure and non-secure)?

no even with a dedicated IP for the Zimbra install?

I mean what with all the small-business outfits operating a single server solution for website, email and stuff?

Sorry to be a pain about this, but I find it hard to believe that there is no way to configure zimbra that it works as a mailserver and runs the webmail interface either on an existing apache install or some other way to keep the server to do both: be a webserver & mailserver & wahtever else...

any ideas?
    I'm a bit puzzled as I have found some "guides" trying to do just that but they were unclear on the instructions regarding the install & set up procedures...

Or let me try it like this:

What steps would I need to do (I can set up the server freshly - no big deal) to get:
    ZIMBRA on one dedicated IP, with a specific domain (for example: Zimbra should listen to "myzimbraserver.com" (just for example))
    Webserver sitting on the other IP (with a Virtual Server environment (for example "mydomain1.com", "mycompany2.com",..., ie. Multiple domains and stuff)
    MySQL (also for my own projects, accessible and configurable)
    The ZIMBRA Should act as a mailserver for all of this...
    all that on one single dedicated server with enough "omph" of course, 2 public IPs (I could get more),...

I have done many installations of webservers and basic mailservers... usually no problem - but for me this is a first time with Zimbra...
    Well if it can't be done, it can't be done... but then I'm quite sure there must be some solution to this problem.
    Again, I can set up the server again from zero if I have to...
    I'm willing to use Zimbra's built in webserver (it's apache anyways) for my other needs if possible... or whatever else...
    But somehow this should work Zimbra & Web on the same server... distinguished by IP not by Port
    At least from my Apache "know how" I am aware that apache can listen to several IPs and use its vhost stuff to delegate a request depending on an IP, Port, Domainname, even a subdomain.
    Last edited by dgentile; 01-25-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Since your server is well over the minimal sys-req specs for zimbra, why not take a look at VMWare Server? Your existing server can act as webserver and host for the virtual server who can run Zimbra on his own IP.

So you're saying there's no way to install zimbra on a server and still keep the server acting as a "normal" webserver (both secure and non-secure)?

no even with a dedicated IP for the Zimbra install?

I mean what with all the small-business outfits operating a single server solution for website, email and stuff?

Sorry to be a pain about this, but I find it hard to believe that there is no way to configure zimbra that it works as a mailserver and runs the webmail interface either on an existing apache install or some other way to keep the server to do both: be a webserver & mailserver & wahtever else...

any ideas?
    I'm a bit puzzled as I have found some "guides" trying to do just that but they were unclear on the instructions regarding the install & set up procedures...
    I think the problem is that "zimbra" is a package of *lots* of applications which you can't break up. They all depend on shared configuration entries which are built out of ldap or zimbra local config type things. I'm guessing you would be able to find the settings for each of the zimbra applications to run on a given IP/port, but there isn't anyway to tell it that at install time.

Most of the guides I've seen are adding a second instance of apache on a server that already has zimbra running on it. For instance, this would involve changing the zimbra config to say "zimbra's apache is running over here on port 8080" and then you can setup your own apache server running on port 80.